What to check on new to me 2005 RXP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you knew for a fact that it only had a few minutes on it after the ceramic washer failure, then you could just pull the motor and remove the pto housing, front oil pump assy, and the 8 lower engine cover caps and then clean and flush everything including the motor itself. You will be able to reconstruct the missing washer from the pieces you find. Have done this process a few times and works well.

For your case with who knows how long it has had ceramic washers going through it, I'd do the above but also split the block to check the crank bearing for scoring. If it's all good and you find virtually all the ceramic pieces, you can just reassemble. If there's scoring, more work will need to be done similar to the videos above.

Exchange the motor for a new rebuilt.You can’t buy the parts for that price.Or not having someone do it +parts?

and yah the ceramic will look like metal if you never seen them.
The next washer up above gear is also ceramic.

i agree with ski-d00

I got the supercharger rebuilt and reassembled everything to get the antifreeze through the system just in time before we had any freezing weather that lasted for days. The unseasonably warm weather helped with that! I used a pump hooked to the flush inlet on the back, started the ski and then turned the pump on. I used a gallon which wasn't much more than it took to see it coming out of the exhaust and I turned the pump off before the ski.

It only ran briefly so hopefully that didn't hurt anything. Now that I know its safe from freeze damage I can start cleaning out the garage and workbench to make room for pulling the motor and inspecting it on the bench. Although I am not sure when I will get to actually doing it, lol.

The new rebuilt idea may be more practical actually, who would you recommend getting the new rebuilt from MudnMan?

Thanks for all the guidance and help!

How do the Supercharger parts make it to the bottom end of the engine? I've never worked on anything supercharged so I'm curious. Interesting for me. :)

The supercharger washers and bearings are lubricated by engine oil. It is part of the engine lubrication system. The supercharger is attached to the PTO housing which also houses the oil pump and strainer. In the case of a ceramic washer failure they would break apart in pieces and get trapped in the oil strainer. If you did not operate the motor and you can put back together a complete washer from the pieces in the oil strainer you probably are not going to find parts in the bottom end, but if you continue to operate the motor apparently the pieces make it past the strainer and start destroying the oil pump and eventually metal goes everywhere your engine oil goes. Supercharger bearing failure is essentially the same process except damage is also done thru intake system by scoring cylinder walls and pistons from metal dust mixed with high pressure air being forced into the cylinders by the impeller of the supercharger scraping metal off the interior of the supercharger housing. So if you suspect any kind of power loss is remotely possible a supercharger problem do not operate the ski until you rule out the supercharger. Timely supercharger maintenance and oil changes with approved oils will hopefully prevent any premature supercharger failures.

Thanks for the explanation. :) I would have thought the intake system would bear the brunt of destruction right away and the rest of the damage would be due to continued operation. I'd wonder what makes the ceramic washer fail? But if there is a bearing involved that would do it. Ceramic is very durable but can't take shock. I"m not sure I want to mess with 4 strokes... LOL Thanks again.

I own 2 2005 rxp and am in the process of rebuilding one where a connecting rod went through the block. Yes they will hit 70 on smooth water and if you change the impeller out to a sola stainless you can hit 72!! Good luck with the supercharger. There are companies online that will rebuild them for you if you don't want to do so. How many hours are on the ski?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back