What is clear thick oil in bilge? 1996 SPX. On top of motor mounts.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaking oil tank and mixture of oil and water typically.
It is not oil mixed with water. Wish it was. I did some homework since posting. It is like new gear oil. Clear and thick. And very clean. Researching the notes on synthetic jet pump oil. It appears there only two types of oil aboard. Two stroke oil and the jet pump oil. Am I right on that?

Nope, only oil inside the hull is 2-stoke oil.
Jet pump oil is outside the hull and contained in the jet pump.

Nope, only oil inside the hull is 2-stoke oil.
Jet pump oil is outside the hull and contained in the jet pump.
Thank you very much for the reply and that info. Makes it simple to hunt down the culprit. I have the shop manual pdf now. Will study A-Z. Cheers!

Are you sure someone didn't just spray the engine with corrosion preventer?

The only clear golden oil that I have seen on these is the Seadoo Mineral 2-stroke oil for the oil injection.

It’s not golden at all. That’s what is throwing me. It obviously isn’t two stroke oil of any kind. ( I have thousands of hours flying two stroke Rotax engines in ultralights and experimental aircraft. Never encountered oil of this kind. Admitting this is my first jet ski so I asked and you provided the true answer. Only 2 stroke oil inside the shell.
Corrosion preventer? Maybe, but it’s not all over the place. Plus the ski has been here in a fresh water mountain lake always.
I have yet to find any obvious leaking hoses or fittings. I am going to spot clean the entire inside area then fill the reservoir with oil and check for leaks. On the light side for all I know someone dropped a tube of clear sunscreen down there. Lol but it has no scent.
Anyways.. thanks again for your insights I’ll post what I find out.
And maybe ask for tips as I dive in to the deep end of the pool here.🐟🐟🐟
Thank you..

Last edited:
On my 95 XP the oil injection lines were leaking. They get sprayed with engine paint at factory and get hard over time and crack. You may want to inspect there.

Also, check your engine mounts, they too have the rubber break down with age. May need to pull or pry on engine to see. You may not even notice ant abnormal vibrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back