What do I need to know before buying a 2003 utopia 205 with 240 Merc

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmac24

Thinking about buying a 2003 Utopia 205 and this will be my first boat purchase. Asking $6500- boat looks immaculate on outside and upholstery looks good for a 2003. Have not seen the boat in person and without an hour meter on it how do I know what to look for? any help here would be great. I dont want to buy something that I will have to spend $1000's on right away. Owner says that all he has done is replaced an alternator and the boat has been serviced by the same dealer since it was new

Welcome.

The Merc's are good engines... but since it's the original engine... I'm going to guess that it's getting to the end of it's life. Also... the total time on the engine at this point is irrelevant. Once it hits the 10 year mark... it's really on how it was maintained.

The big thing is to take it for a water trial. It should start cold, it should re-start warm, and in the water. Running on the trailer means absolutely NOTHING !!!!!

If it's been serviced at a local dealer... then have them tell you the HR's on the engine. There is a meter internal of the computer, and a Merc dealer can read it.

Check the rubber bellows on the steering and shift cable ends at the steering nozzle. The should be soft, flexible and intact. No cracks. Cracks will let water enter the cable and make it rust and fail. Neither is too difficult or expensive to replace, but could be a negotiating point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back