Looking to buy 2003 Utopia 205, need advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblock777

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking at a 2003 Utopia 205. I see it has a Mercury engine and not the newer Rotax, any issues I should be aware of before purchasing? Or things I need to make sure to take a look at before handing a check over? Thanks!

As an owner of a 205 ...Great boats...the 205 is nice and roomy if your taking the whole family out, easily pulls all types of water toys....im in Ontario and have never had any problems finding a mechanic to service, from what I've read on here...tougher to find someone in the states....as i'm not mechanically inclined i would ask for a water test...if not available make sure it looks well taken care of...they're older machines so dont be shocked when it requires service....this board offers great advice, if no one gets back to you right away just give your post a nudge...

Cool, I’m in Montreal!

I rebuilt 2 Sea Doos, had a 30’ express cruiser, modded cars etc. so not afraid of mechanical work. What bothers me is the worn out interior. Seems like I can get a seat cover kit for any model but a Utopia.

Are the 2003 Utopias stator based and do they have ECU issues often?

I put a deposit on it and will check out Wednesday, just looking for tips on what to check. So far I have this:

Engine hours
Service records if any
Impeller and wear ring
Gel coat
Hull humidity and delamination
Oil in front of the shaft (stator issues)
Compression (What is correct range)

What really concerns me is the stator and ECU which seem to go at any moment with no warning.

Also the lack of readily available seat covers means that will be expensive. There is nothing worse than cracked and torn covers to make a boat look old and junky.

Your right ...cosmetically can be hard to source parts..im currently having a potential computer problem, but hopefully will hear shortly...sounds like you know your way around an engine so instruction for repairs should be easier understood.

Some of the other "pros" on the board should be able to answer your specific questions, im just getting into repairs for myself....

The ave price i've reviewed in ontario is about 13k

My Golden rule, (from experience working on them),,,Never buy a jet boat!!!,,,unless you have Deep pockets,,,and lots of off water time....(because it may be out of the water for considerable time),,,And make sure there is a water test, and make sure you are on it for the water test,,,Good Luck!

Boat looks a little beat upside I may pass. Having it professionally surveyed.

Does anyoneknow what core material is used in the hulls of these boats?

So finally found a 2006 Utopia 205 SE with twin 155hp 4tecs.

went for a ride, compression was 145 to 155 per cylinder and hull was immaculate.

paid a a little too much but will be able to put in next weekend. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back