What carb do I need?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ren588

I have a 2003 Sea-Doo GTI Le that I recently got. The previous owner didn't know, or claimed he didn't know, anything about it. On a water test, it kept bogging down repeatedly and I was unable to get it over 28 mph or so. It seemed to idle/run fine on the trailer, and in the water it also seems to run better when the choke is applied. With choke off, it's just constantly bogging down any time you throttle up.

I removed the carb to do a rebuild on it...the whole casing and everything seems to be in rough shape and may have been hacked up by someone in the past. I don't want any issues rebuilding, and with the damage to the casing, I would prefer just to buy a new one to rule out any carb issues.

My issue is that I can't figure out what carb I actually need. I'm having trouble locating another carb that looks like the one that came out of this ski. For example, I found one on ebay that says it's from a 2003 Sea-Doo 720 GTI Le. However, this carb has two butterfly/plates, one on either side.

The old (hacked up?) carb I removed from the ski does not have 2 of the butterfly/plates and only one, on the side that goes to the engine and not the flame arrestor.

I found a YouTube video, searching for 717 carb rebuild videos, and this carb is the most similar to mine. He only has one of the butterfly/plates like mine, though the carb is still not identical to mine. (unable to post links).

I am attaching a photo of my old carb. I seem to have a hose bib in one of the holes of where one of the butterfly plates went...which has a small yellow tygon fuel line connected to it from the ski. I don't understand what someone was attempting to do with this carb, or how the ski actually ran to 27 mph the way it is.

Under the seat area, in the engine bay, there is a barcode sticker with a 2010 date on it. I don't know what this sticker is referring to, if that is the date it had engine or some other work done, or what. As far as I can tell, it's a standard 717/720 engine.

I thought I needed a BN-40I-38 carb, but all of these seem to have the two butterfly/plates on both ends. My issue is I just want to purchase the correct carb for the ski...and have no idea what anyone previously did to this thing. I'd rather just install a new carb on the thing to go ahead and rule out any issues with that.

Attachments

• carb-current.jpg
    carb-current.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a 2003 Sea-Doo GTI Le that I recently got. The previous owner didn't know, or claimed he didn't know, anything about it. On a water test, it kept bogging down repeatedly and I was unable to get it over 28 mph or so. It seemed to idle/run fine on the trailer, and in the water it also seems to run better when the choke is applied. With choke off, it's just constantly bogging down any time you throttle up.

I removed the carb to do a rebuild on it...the whole casing and everything seems to be in rough shape and may have been hacked up by someone in the past. I don't want any issues rebuilding, and with the damage to the casing, I would prefer just to buy a new one to rule out any carb issues.

My issue is that I can't figure out what carb I actually need. I'm having trouble locating another carb that looks like the one that came out of this ski. For example, I found one on ebay that says it's from a 2003 Sea-Doo 720 GTI Le. However, this carb has two butterfly/plates, one on either side.

The old (hacked up?) carb I removed from the ski does not have 2 of the butterfly/plates and only one, on the side that goes to the engine and not the flame arrestor.

I found a YouTube video, searching for 717 carb rebuild videos, and this carb is the most similar to mine. He only has one of the butterfly/plates like mine, though the carb is still not identical to mine. (unable to post links).

I am attaching a photo of my old carb. I seem to have a hose bib in one of the holes of where one of the butterfly plates went...which has a small yellow tygon fuel line connected to it from the ski. I don't understand what someone was attempting to do with this carb, or how the ski actually ran to 27 mph the way it is.

Under the seat area, in the engine bay, there is a barcode sticker with a 2010 date on it. I don't know what this sticker is referring to, if that is the date it had engine or some other work done, or what. As far as I can tell, it's a standard 717/720 engine.

I thought I needed a BN-40I-38 carb, but all of these seem to have the two butterfly/plates on both ends. My issue is I just want to purchase the correct carb for the ski...and have no idea what anyone previously did to this thing. I'd rather just install a new carb on the thing to go ahead and rule out any issues with that.
Your carburetor have primer installed and choke plate been remove .

Yes, the other butterfly, closer to the flame arrestor is the choke. The handle where the choke used to be is now a primer. You can replace that carb with one that has both of the butterflies, but you’ll want to find a choke cable and handle as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back