What are you paying for insuring your Spark?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

alha

I just contacted my insurance agent about adding the Spark to my policy when it finally arrives, and she got back to me a few hours later with a quote of I believe around $400 "annually" (ya, annual, when about 50% of the year the water around here is in solid form, and it's sitting up on a rack in storage). And I have All my policies with them, home, cars, umbrella, bike, etc, so I expected it to be a bit less as they're all in one package.

Anywho, I guess that seems a little high to me, considering that it is only a $7000 vehicle, and my cars are worth significantly more than that, and their annual premiums are not a lot higher, maybe double that? Not to mention the fact that they are used 12 months of the year, and are used many more hours than the PWC. Can someone help me with this, as again this is all new to me. Thanks!

I think it is high. I have almost 25 grand worth of 4-tec skis and a trailer and pay under $300 for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I will email them today and ask for a firm quote, because I thought so too, I figured maybe around 1/2 of that. We'll see what they say, as it'll be in writing, and then I can compare it to what others here pay. I should have also asked in the orig post both cost and who the insurance is through.

Thanks for that, I will email them today and ask for a firm quote, because I thought so too, I figured maybe around 1/2 of that. We'll see what they say, as it'll be in writing, and then I can compare it to what others here pay. I should have also asked in the orig post both cost and who the insurance is through.

I am in Canada. And I just bought an insurance for value of $7000 boat+trailer and $2M liability and $5000 Emergency Towing.
The liability only cost you $50.
The value of the boat is the main part of the cost.

If you only want liability, try insure only $3000 for yourself.

With most policies you have a lot of additional add-ons that you may or may not need so you need to check those options. You have additional things like loss of personal items, slide and glide (on the water towing), road side assistance, disappearing deductibles so you need to decide if all of these things are needed if not this can dramatically reduce your costs. Also paying the full amount in full helps. I just quoted two new 2-up sparks with full coverage accept for towing, vanishing deductible, and loss of personal items for 400 for the year through progressive. You can go on the progressive site and mess around with the amount of coverage you want polices will range from $50 to $600 depending on how crazy and how much coverage you want. Hope this helps.

Hookinembig

It does, thanks. I will check it out, as I have Allied, and after talking with my agent about a year or so ago and asking her to shop all my policies around to see if I was still getting a decent deal, I was told that as a package, this was still the best deal for me. I have been with them for 7-8 years now, and prior to last summers hail storm, the only claim I had with them was one stone damaged windshield. I think just for giggles, I will hit up a few websites in my spare time and see what I come up with on my own, as it never hurts to shop around. Thanks again for the heads up!

I live in Miami and the average insurance quote I have received is over $100 a month for a seadoo spark. I guess it shouldnt surprise me since car insurance has been quoted much higher than i paid in NY. In NY i paid $30 a month for basic liability coverage for a small , newer car. i am 35 with a perfect driving record. IN Miami for the same coverage, same car they want $185 a month. This is why i drive a scooter. I will not be insuring my spark. In FL you dont have to legally have to insure a wave runner or scooter but if you cause damage with it you are required to carry insurance for 3 yrs after on either.

I live in Miami and the average insurance quote I have received is over $100 a month for a seadoo spark. I guess it shouldnt surprise me since car insurance has been quoted much higher than i paid in NY. In NY i paid $30 a month for basic liability coverage for a small , newer car. i am 35 with a perfect driving record. IN Miami for the same coverage, same car they want $185 a month. This is why i drive a scooter. I will not be insuring my spark. In FL you dont have to legally have to insure a wave runner or scooter but if you cause damage with it you are required to carry insurance for 3 yrs after on either.

Same situation here. We moved to Tampa 4 years ago from NY. Auto insurance was 200 more a year. Meanwhile tons of people from NY are dying to get Florida insurance. They said Tampa has one of the highest insurance rates.

Jay

Just got my rate for two 3up and the trailer. $503.00 for a year with $250 deductible. $500 deduct was only a $26 reduction so I stayed with the $250.
Now, just go ride and enjoy.

$0 I insured my first couple Jet Skies like many of you are doing But I am on my 14th Sea Doo and No longer insure them because they are safe tucked away in my garage and I don,t Run into people? If someone runs into me on the water I will sue them and If someone Crashes into my trailer with the Spark on it I will sue them!

$0 I insured my first couple Jet Skies like many of you are doing But I am on my 14th Sea Doo and No longer insure them because they are safe tucked away in my garage and I don,t Run into people? If someone runs into me on the water I will sue them and If someone Crashes into my trailer with the Spark on it I will sue them!

Does anyone else ever ride your ski? If for no other reason, I carry insurance to PREVENT being sued...

Wow, that's a pretty high quote.

I just got a quote from Geico for a potential GTX 260 iS Limited. $15K of coverage on the ski, $250 vanishing deductible (25% off each year), $300K/500K with $1000 of trailer coverage ($100 deductible) and $1000 of personal items coverage ($50 deductible) for just under $600...for someone who's never owned a watercraft.

If I just kept it at their base settings (100K/300K, $500 deductible with no trailer or personal items coverage) it was just over $300.

Haha exactly Sarge. That is why I will not be insuring my PWC and I don't insure my little 50cc scooter . I drive like an angel. I'm not going to be the one causing damage in an accident

You guys think insurance is just for the other person. If someone hits you and they dont have insurance what are you gonna do. Most people on the water probably don't have insurance. Most people out on pwc's are reckless. And don't tell me sue them. You'll spend more money than just fixing it. Plus you can sue all you want you can't take what that person doesn't have.

Jay

.... Plus you can sue all you want you can't take what that person doesn't have. Jay

+1

that's why I have an umbrella policy covering everything, because even thought I don't have That much, I still have many years worth of 'stuff' that I find valuable that I would still prefer to keep in the event of some unforeseen (bad) event happening. No wearing a barrel for this guy, insurance isn't _that_ expensive, I just like to get as good a deal as I can, cuz sadly, money isn't growing on trees around here.

+1

that's why I have an umbrella policy covering everything, because even thought I don't have That much, I still have many years worth of 'stuff' that I find valuable that I would still prefer to keep in the event of some unforeseen (bad) event happening. No wearing a barrel for this guy, insurance isn't _that_ expensive, I just like to get as good a deal as I can, cuz sadly, money isn't growing on trees around here.

I also am looking into an umbrella policy. People are looking for any excuse to sue. Need to protect yourself from every angle.

Jay

I'd really suggest getting it, because even if your name isn't Buffet or Gates, the peace of mind it gives is worth the small amount of $ it costs. Even if you don't have a ton of assets, if you do get sued and lose, I believe pretty much the only way to get out from under it (wage garnishments, etc) is by filing bankruptcy. At least I think that it true, though I'm not a lawyer, and don't even play one on TV. ;)

florida here.
$302 with progressive annually for two ski's valued around 11K.

no way in hell i'd go without it. and I rag on anybody that I ride with that doesn't carry it.

one false move and your looking at a lawsuit, even if its a frivilous suit, it can easily cost 5k to defend yourself and get it dropped.

NO brainer for me.

These are my insurance! I have been riding and racing 25 Years and have never come close to hitting anything and I don,t give ALL those reckless Jet Skiers a chance to hit me?
If your always aware of your surroundings you are wasting your $$ making insurance executives Rich.

Attachments

• Class Picture 007 (800x600).jpg
    Class Picture 007 (800x600).jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Class Picture 008 (800x600).jpg
    Class Picture 008 (800x600).jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Class Picture 009 (800x600).jpg
    Class Picture 009 (800x600).jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 19
Back