What Am I Missing Here -- Exhaust Alignment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK5188

Getting the 95 GTX back together. Down to a few systems now. Got the Exhaust in last night and I don't remember there being an angle from the tune pipe to the rear muffler. See pic. Is this correct? My alignment is close, checked with the alignment tool.

Attachments

• 20211009_151807.jpg
    20211009_151807.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211009_151758.jpg
    20211009_151758.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 36
The muffler can move around a bit since it's just stapped in. You should just be able to move it.

Assuming the pipe has all it's bolts in that's really the only variable I can see

That’s pretty far off, something isn’t correct. As nick said try the waterbox first.

Take an overhead shot of the engine area. A close in shot of the obvious misalignment doesn't give us the big picture. The water box is sideways and appears to be tight on the mount, but we can't see the pto flywheel clearly to look at it's relation to center which would help. It also looks like you used a wide angle, fish eye, lense which distorts things.

Last edited:
Thanks All. Here are some more pics. I have the bolts out of the Motor Mounts and you can see the drive shaft alignment tool is inserted and pretty close to right / left alignment. Tune pipe bolted correctly. I am wondering if the aft end of the water box is pushed to far to the left causing the misalignment. Hope the pics help. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211010_135111.jpg
    20211010_135111.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211010_135104.jpg
    20211010_135104.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211010_135058.jpg
    20211010_135058.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 33
Ignore my first post about the pipe connection....

Wasn't wearing my glasses......... you have the one piece pipe.

Pull the alignment tool shaft out.

Loosen the four 13mm head bolts holding the engine saddle onto the motor mounts.

Loosen the two clamps on the pipe to water box hose.

Wiggle the motor around in its mounts to see if things fall more into alignment at the pipe to box hose connection.

It looks like the motor is in crooked. Feel around under the tuned pipe and make sure it doesn't have a coolant line pinned between it and the hull.

The alignment tool is for "fine tuning" the engine. The motor should, almost, fall right back into "good enough" alignment if the mounts and shims have not been altered while the motor was out. The pipe is solidly bolted to the motor at the exhaust manifold top and sides so the only way for the pipe and box to not line up is in the motor alignment.

The alignment tool should be able to slide into the pto flywheel with as little as possible contact or binding. It's not a "cram it in and call it good" tool. When I did the rebuild on my 94 xp this summer I replaced my home made shims with some real seadoo shims and spent 45 minutes adding, removing, lifting, lowering corners or the entire motor until I had the best alignment. During that whole process the tool slid into the flywheel easy, but you are looking for very slight changes of resistance and adjusting that out.

Last edited:
The water box appears to be in the correct location, front to back, based on how the rubber hose is seated on the box and pipe. As long as that is the oem hose length for that machine you'll see the hose seated tight against the waterbox can as well as tight against the pipe nipple fitting casting, if the motor is bolted down the water box is in the right place.

Double check around the rear of the water box as well and make sure nothing is lodged between it and the hull.

From the pics you've sent through, it does look like the water box isn't correctly aligned. I'm using your water box mounting bracket as a reference point. The box should sit perpendicular to the bracket, and yours looks to be off-set. I re-mounted the waterbox in my 94 GTX yesterday and spent a good deal of time trying to get it back in place.

How did you go ?

Good evening. As luck would have it, I had to pull the motor again. Starter died and I broke a fitting. So, I pulled it out, fixed the problems and pulled the water box and exhaust hose that runs across the back of the Seadoo. Cleaned it all up again, and this time I got it pretty close. Took it out this morning and it seemed fine. Having to pull the motor again, might have been a blessing.
One thing I noticed was rotating the water box from left to right helped me get a better alignment.

Cheers, George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back