What a disaster-PWC Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

- BiRkS_

Well as you may know, I rebuilt my 951 carbed engine with most OEM parts (only non OEM parts were rings and gasket kit) That went very well, just been too busy to upload pictures to my computer, house projects,etc,. At the same time I did my engine, My buddy picked up another 951 ski that was blown. So we tore it down and him being cheapo, went aftermarket.

Ended up ordering a bunch of stuff from PWC engine. They had very good prices, but the selling feature was being able to ship to Canada. Being close to the boarder allowed them to have very fast shipping...Or so we thought. Deal is you send them the core first, then they will send your order to you (no core charge). That was fine, so early May we sent the crank down. Emailed the tracking number to them and all was well. 2 weeks later, no email, no call. So i try calling. 6 tries, and many messages to get through. They "forgot" my order. So they put it together quickly and shipped it that day. UPS was a disaster and beat the hell out of my package AT MY HOUSE, but thats another story. Anyways, get everything unboxed, and go to help buddy assemble engine, and the counter balance shaft (just rebuilt OEM-same guy that did mine) doesn't fit. They shipped a 951 DI crank, not carbed.

I called them up, they apologized for the mix-up and said they would send the proper crank ASAP, and explained how to write on the return packing its a return to avoid duty at the boarder.. whatever. Well the crank was supposed to come in last monday. Last thursday I called and they had no idea if it was shipped, or any status, no tracking number, nothing. I told them to send me an email as soon as you find out, and i need a tracking number. Now I've tried calling, and can't get through. 4 days straight now. (I feel somewhat responsible because I recommended them, and now he's out the cash, his core, and has the wrong crank!) Bottom line is, after all this chaos is over, I will never order from them again. 4 weeks of just waiting and no communication or customer service. I just hope this crank holds up, cause I have no idea how you'd get a warranty claim processed.

Sorry for the rant:rant:, but after repetitive issues, I have to give them a bad rating. I'll always give a company a second chance to prove themselves. But they blew both of them out of the water. No follow-up, nothing.

Sometimes people drop the ball, we are all human. But I'm glad to know because I was getting to ready order a crank form them. Price seems right cause I paid 420 to get my ski doo crank done in the fall by the crank shop in VT. Was going to send them this crank as well but based on the price PWC seemed better....maybe not now. I'm not bashing any company here. It says on their website that they first ship you the rebuild then you use that box to return your core. I guess the write on the site is wrong?

You being in the states may have a different core policy. I'm in Canada, and thats what I had to do. Not a big deal, it was 50$ to ship it, but over the phone, I was convinced everything would go smoothly.

My issue is no communication. I don't care if you haven't shipped it, just tell me and tell me why. If you've been so busy you forgot, tell me. Don't beat around the bush and say "i think we did, i don't know." Well go check. Its a 350$ + the 50$ shipping to them. so 400$ better be treated with a little more respect to the customer and at a very minimum, a follow up.

You being in the states may have a different core policy. I'm in Canada, and thats what I had to do. Not a big deal, it was 50$ to ship it, but over the phone, I was convinced everything would go smoothly.

My issue is no communication. I don't care if you haven't shipped it, just tell me and tell me why. If you've been so busy you forgot, tell me. Don't beat around the bush and say "i think we did, i don't know." Well go check. Its a 350$ + the 50$ shipping to them. so 400$ better be treated with a little more respect to the customer and at a very minimum, a follow up.

Im with you man!!!! Maybe its because I was in sales for a number of years but my biggest gripe is people who do not bother to call me back or respond to emails. 90% of issues can be corrected by communicating with your customer. Mark my words... if they treat every customer like this they will not be in business very long. There is just too much competition out there for companies to be successful operating like that.

Finally. I lost track of phone calls, but i got an email. Turns out customs denied the package (couldnt find the illegal drugs hidden i guess lol) But apparently the package came back on monday... i've been calling since tuesday. Could you have at least told me what happened? before i sent nasty emails and messages? What a disaster. So it should be re-shipped and i hope the end is near.

For those in the states, please post your experiences. I don't want to ruin a buisness reputation with one customer. Maybe im the lucky (or unlucky?) one.

If custom's flagged it, you can't blame the seller, however I would blame them for lack of communication. In 2013, businesses need to respond to ALL calls and ALL emails within 24 hours.

I actually had an engine come to me, assembled, with a DI counterbalancer! (in a carb engine) (SES swapped it for me, no charge).

I don't personally rebuild engines any more. I ship everything to SES (in PA). then get a 1-2 year no fault warranty on the whole.

Not sure how much you spent total, but my engine came with a no matter what for 2 years...

If custom's flagged it, you can't blame the seller, however I would blame them for lack of communication. In 2013, businesses need to respond to ALL calls and ALL emails within 24 hours.

I actually had an engine come to me, assembled, with a DI counterbalancer! (in a carb engine) (SES swapped it for me, no charge).

I don't personally rebuild engines any more. I ship everything to SES (in PA). then get a 1-2 year no fault warranty on the whole.

Not sure how much you spent total, but my engine came with a no matter what for 2 years...

so how did you figure out the DI counterbalancer was in it? will it not turn over with it in?

aw geez man,sorry u had crappy results.i have used him several times. so far been real good.the mistakes he has made so far with me consist of wrong prices. every time I use him,he quotes me too high,when I get the actual bill,its been less.go figure.
real sorry you r having issues of any kind with him,i have recommended him on this forum.
hope it all goes smooth for the rest of the build.
troy

I ended up with a DI crank instead of carbed. My counterbalancer (carb) would bind up. the DI center gear is larger than the carbed (go figure)

Hopefully all will be sorted out after the long weekend. The service was great, but once money changed hands.. and when I had problems with my order, that's when the lack of communication really pissed me off. Right now I've got a nice shiny 951 DI crank boat anchor lol.

I'm happy that my OEM build went well, now to get him in the water and have someone to ride with!

Edit: Sabr we looked at the rebuilt engines, no fault warranties,but it would be nearly 1800$ with shipping and taxes. My near OEM build was just around 800$ (including paint, loctite, and misc engine related stuff. His will be just under 800$ (shipping of parts included)

So to save a grand and well for me, have a fast turn around time on the engine, it made sense. If i can find a reputable builder in canada with fair pricing (not 1900+ tax for an engine) then i may consider sending it out. Until then, i'll be building my own. If i have the parts infront of me, I can safely build an engine in 2 evenings and that includes lots of double checking (ring end gaps, squish, torque specs, etc, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I buy something from the US, I always drive across the border to pick it up. I ship to a place in Blaine, Wa and pick it up. Not sure how far from the border you are though.

$1800 with shipping? The 1 year no fault is $900. For $100 shipping, I don't drive out any more either.

Your taxes must suck.

For us duty or taxes are 12%, shipping to SES is another $70 one way. Last time SES had shipping both ways included in the price. If you ship directly to Canada, the brokerage fees can be quite costly. Which is why I pick it up, with a full tank of fuel and a cheap bottle of wine. Booze is really expensive up north. As I am typing this I am enjoying a cheap Corona on the Oregon coast. What an awesome place!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back