Well I think thats the end of the season for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

6KJR

Was out today, machines been working great the last few times I had it out after all my carb tweaking.. Was just cruising along when there was a nice POP from under the seat and I lost power. Came to a stop and sat there thinking for a few minutes while my friends turned around and came back..

Pressed the start button, nothing. Dead. Bilge works, battery connections were good..

Get looking closer and it looks as the plug that goes into the mag blew out. I say blew because it had my MAG wires right out of the plug hanging there, and the two for my crank pickup (which had slightly more wire then the MAG) were still attached normally.

I thought maybe it just rattled out. But after thinking about it more tonight, Im wondering if a crank seal failed and filled up the mag with air/fuel mixture and burst. Anyone ever heard of that? If that is what happened its a first for me..

I will have to pull the intake off and drop the exhaust and do a leak down test when I get some time to confirm.

Ive had that plug out and completely rebuilt it with new parts and it was installed perfectly..

Whats your .02 or more?

So I was thinkin, or maybe dreaming in the middle of the night.. Im also wondering if whatever lube was used to oil the stator (as rust/ moisture inhibitor) caused the problem as well. The battery was a little low but had enough power to start the machine so it was probably starting to create some heat in there. Maybe that reached flash over point and blew it out. It wasnt until I started cruising 55-6000 rpm that it happened.

Maybe tonight I'll dig into it tonight.

Not sure why it would blow the mag plug clean out of it.

So it seems. The little black wire on the mag wasn't held to well in place. It rubbed the coating off the wire and must of sparked out on the round part of the flywheel igniting any fumes that were in there. Also noticed it blew apart my connector on the plug.

So it'll have to sit until I can order new parts for the Dutch plug. Lol.

Are you thinking the front seal leaked fuel/air mix into the magnito houseing and ignited? :ack:

Sounds like he ignited his fuel vapor inside the hull.

I had a guy call me and wanted to sell a 96 GSX he had that had a similar thing happen...he must have had more gas though b/c it shot him and the seat 10' in the air and separated the hull halves!

hahahahahah!!!!!
Thats hysterical! hoping dude can still walk tho...
yea, like 13b said, pics, or it didn't happen...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back