Wear rings created equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid

I took the 97 gtx out yesterday and the engine ran beautifully. A couple miles out the wear ring shredded on me and I was able to make it back creeping at 3000k rpm. The speed was a hair above idle. I had that ring replaced by a shop 7 years ago.

Any suggestions on brands or any thing I should watch out for.

I'm going to replace the bearings while I'm in there.

It's not overkill it's a prop killer as you suggest. I agree with Chester that OEM is the way to go for any keeper ski. I've used/use the cheapos all the time though on my for sale skis and they work good just not sure how long. The white plastic ones from SBT are the best of the cheap ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not get a good look at the color of the one that crapped out, but you can tell when they are starting to wear. The speed doesn't feel right. The 99 gsxl is a beast compared go the gtx. I put a black one with the silvery band on the gsxl. It was in the 35 dollar range if I remember correctly.

I did not get a good look at the color of the one that crapped out, but you can tell when they are starting to wear. The speed doesn't feel right. The 99 gsxl is a beast compared go the gtx. I put a black one with the silvery band on the gsxl. It was in the 35 dollar range if I remember correctly.

My kids shredded the 2 piece that was in there. I replaced mine with a single piece delrin like the ones used in the new 4 techs. Works fine.

Just curious to those who recommend only the OEM wear ring. What experiences can you share regarding the cheaper ones, particularly the Delrin? Seems to me like the Delrin would be more durable since it is one piece, as opposed to the OEM where the material can flake off. You guys have a lot more experience than I do so I am really interested. I'm probably going to do a pump overhaul/wear ring job in mine this off season.

The Delrin ones are a hard (usually) white plastic. I have had decent luck with the white SBT delrin ones and that is what I have in both of my skis now. Delrin is nice and tough. Some have had an issue with delrin ones either being too large, or too small, or causing the impeller to rub a lot. I have not had that issue, but only have used the SBT ones.

OEM rings have the best fit(tolerances) and therefore performance. They are not as tough on purpose. There is a little "give" to it and this can keep the impeller blades from taking all the impact of passing debris. It takes them at least 8 years before the material will delaminate and blow itself out in chunks.

Is there a reason not to use a neoprene seal? I have one that came with my SBT ring that I'm going to use.

Do you think its worth changing the bearings?

It either disintegrated over a 7 year period or the shop I took it to didn't use one. There is almost no play in the bearings...they feel good!IMG_20170821_180051_hdr.jpgIMG_20170821_180018_hdr.jpg

I got the pump apart and this is what I saw. The flat bearing was starting to grenade. Was there a problem with heat because of the discolouration of the spindle?

Also this is the wear ring in it ...does it look like a OEM?

One other thing the delrin ring I have now has a grove on one end and flat on the other. Which side goes into pump toward vanes?

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_193023_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20170821_193023_hdr.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170821_185709_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20170821_185709_hdr.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20170821_185644_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20170821_185644_hdr.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a spindle...didn't want to take a chance. The original oil in it was dark black. What could cause it to turn black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back