Wear Ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was right at a year ago when we replaced out grate. Our son did the eBay search and purchased it, I just paid for it! It is a fixed grate. When he gets home later today I will see if he can look up where he purchased it. If I remember correctly, ours is cast aluminum.

Ours is the casu aluminum version, part 852962T. Purchased used on eBay for $75 plus shipping on 5/21/2011. The seller was JEFFCOMARINEPRODUCTS. Don't know if that will help you out, but good luck.

I have that same seller in my Ebay history as well. They may have listed them as used, but they sure looked new to me. It was worth the money for piece of mind.

PS: Of all the things to find in a local hardware store, we have one here that sells liquidation items. There were a stack of grates in their liquidation center. Without the part numbers on me, I was unsure if they were the SeaDoo/Merc grates, but I knew they were definately jet grates. I should go back with those numbers and find out.

I went back and took a look at the grates. Ironically, it was a stack of brand new, Quicksilver Hydro-Surge grates!! There must have been 5-6 of them in the package with Quicksilver (mercury) logos on them. It's too bad a person could not weld them solid for a cheap fix. But, the center 2-3 tines are short from the factory. Some folks were thinking they broke off, but they actually came from the factory that way. Sort of interesting.

grates

I went back and took a look at the grates. Ironically, it was a stack of brand new, Quicksilver Hydro-Surge grates!! There must have been 5-6 of them in the package with Quicksilver (mercury) logos on them. It's too bad a person could not weld them solid for a cheap fix. But, the center 2-3 tines are short from the factory. Some folks were thinking they broke off, but they actually came from the factory that way. Sort of interesting.

I wonder if those were for the smaller sport jets? Not the M2.

Not sure, but it looked exactly the same as the HydroSurge I threw away off of my 240efi. It was the same size and built the same way.

Not sure, but it looked exactly the same as the HydroSurge I threw away off of my 240efi. It was the same size and built the same way.

I looked at mine and you are correct. The frame is rectangular with four inner tines that do not attach to the frame at the back end. These tines are beveled at the ends. I believe this is so weeds can pass through without clogging the intake. However, the tines could easily be broken off by a log or rock (as I have seen from pictures in this forum).
After looking at this I ordered my new grate today. Better safe than sorry.

Good call in getting a new grate Paul. On our maiden voyage our hydro-surge grate let the impellar suck up a beer can. We limped back to the ramp, loaded up and went home. It was then that I discovered the can stuck to the impellar and read up on the grate. It was replaced before our next voyage.

I looked at mine and you are correct. The frame is rectangular with four inner tines that do not attach to the frame at the back end. These tines are beveled at the ends. I believe this is so weeds can pass through without clogging the intake. However, the tines could easily be broken off by a log or rock (as I have seen from pictures in this forum).
After looking at this I ordered my new grate today. Better safe than sorry.

Where'd you end up ordering your grate from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E-Bay

Where'd you end up ordering your grate from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the 6 tine aluminum on E-Bay. for a total of $165.76 with shipping. About twice as much as the guys paid last year. Got it for the peace of mind. I don't like expensive repairs or time away from the water.

Got the grate today. Easy install. Much beefier than that Hydro-Surge grate. Now I won't be afraid of those floating hedge apples!

Before with just me (and I am a big guy) I was around 50 to 54. But the cavitation was terrible with a load on the boat. Speed is cool, but I want the "Get up and GO !" whole shot.

I had the parts shipped directly to my mechanic who was going the work for me. I was going to do it but I simply didn't have the time. He said to me the parts were "beautifully done" and the stainless insert was "impressive." So he was pretty happy with the work done by impros. I took a look after they were installed and it looks great, but the real difference was the performance.

They sleeved it with stainless but I do not think it is removable. It will last a lot longer than the aluminium that lasted 10 years. I don't plan on having this boat for another 5 let alone 10 years. At that point it will be 20+ years old. It will be time for a new one then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back