Wear ring question...screws?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapptorman

This is the first ring I’ve ever replaced so forgive me if this is it dumb question but are these screws supposed to be here? I’ve watched many videos of people replacing wear rings and no one has ever mentioned screws before. There’s two screws on either side of the housing. Both of them went through the housing and into the old wear ring . Is this right? If they’re supposed to be there that means I have to drill into a brand new ring in order to make them screw all the way in. That just doesn’t seem right to me. This is on an 01 GTS

Attachments

• F3A82F7C-1C56-4ECD-A94E-BD525776C190.jpeg
    F3A82F7C-1C56-4ECD-A94E-BD525776C190.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 02365F74-9160-4C25-988A-5C73B87BBD57.jpeg
    02365F74-9160-4C25-988A-5C73B87BBD57.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
Not on any Sea-Doo I have ever seen. Especially the two models you have listed in your profile.

Yes, the screws are correct and in the newer plastic body pumps.

You need to use them. Just drill pilot hols a little smaller than the screws and put a piece of tape on the drill bit the same length as the screw threads so you don't drill too deep.

Interesting, what purpose so they serve? It is hard to tell in the picture but it looks like these screws are in the channel for the plastic piece with the syphoning tubes

They are hidden under the siphon tube.

On the plastic pumps the wear rings can be a little loose and spin so the screws help keep them in place.

Hmm, mine has plastic pump housing but no screws. I've never seen this brought up before. Learn something new everyday. Lol

I was wondering if it had something to do with the polymer housings. There is two under the siphon tube’s and two directly opposite of that. They definitely look like high-quality factory screws but I’ve come to expect anything on an 18-year-old machine. Very grateful for the knowledge on this form.

I use a piece of tygon tubing on the drill bit and chuck the drill to where the tubing is touching the chuck with the correct depth of the drill sticking out. Still gotta be very careful on the depth. I also use loctite 609 cylindrical parts retaining compound. With that stuff i probably don't need the screws but I put the screws back in place. I don't argue with engineering.

I've given some thought to what will happen if the hole comes through the impeller of the wear ring. It makes me be very careful. :D

The screws don’t thread into the housing so there’s nothing to strip there.

The only thing you could strip is the new wearing if you drill the hole too big or not deep enough. It’s really not that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back