Water Regulator and Peak RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KayakNFly

Was doing routine mx on one of my 96 xps and found a bent spring on water regulator, barely touched it and it broke. Got a new one and put it in, noticed the red "screw" wasn't set to stock and it also had 2 washers on top of the bellows to space differently with the "bad" spring. I followed the service manual and set to stock. All the way in, then 3 turns out.

Took it out and the top RPM is around 6500. Used to spin 6950 or so... What should the max RPM be stock and which way should I adjust the red screw to get it back? Don't want to turn it the wrong way and overheat the pipe. Thanks.

It's in the FSM, i'm not sure which way is which, but even adjusting my own, found it to make very little difference...

one way makes it dry out the pipe sooner, which may give you more top end. however too dry, and it will overheat.

I don't know the max RPM at WOT for a 787, sorry.

All the manual says is 3 turns out from bottom. No more guidance there. That's all I changed from one outing to the next so it has to be that. Thanks though.

Those washers were in there from the factory i believe. I had the same washers in the water regulator on my 97 GTX

3 turns out is correct, it should be about flush with the cap. that will dry the pipe out earlier for a meaty midrange into top end. the suggested stock RAVE setting also opens the valves early, giving the powerband a shape similar to the non-rave engines. most people run them turned all the way in so there is more pop at the top end. i'd take the valve off and make sure it is working like it should, and that it can move freely. the 6500 max rpm sounds more like mine did when i didn't tighten down the housings after changing the bellows and they weren't opening.

when the waterbox doesn't open it runs fine and then chokes down as it can't get the exhaust and water all out the back fast enough.

Took the valve apart again, seems to be working fine. Moves freely and I played with compressed air and moved it up and down to see the difference. Still scratching my head as to how I lost the last 400 or so RPMs.

check your engine raves and make sure they aren't leaking or anything. its a longshot but possible they need servicing.

does your bellows still have the metal band and screw holding it on tight?

Raves were cleaned less than 10 hrs ago. Bellows on water regulator are good and metal band is on tight, with a tight zip tie that I replaced the rusty clip on the bottom of the bellows. Guess I'll just have to do the old fashioned turn and try. Thanks for the input though Strizzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back