Water leaking into bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobthraX

Hi everyone - so I've had my 2011 Speedster 255 out about 7 times and having a lot of fun!

With that said - I've realized that I have a water leak in the bilge.

When I put it in the water, then go park car, etc., star her up and head out the bilge will start pumping out pretty hot water after a few minutes.

I find that when I'm moving, in calm water, the bilge pumps out nothing.

If I stop for a while, or it's really choppy, then the bilge pushes out super hot water - I have to move my hand out of the way after a second as it's so hot. After about 3-5 minutes, it's stops until I stop again (unless it's choppy then it happens sporadically).

I thought it might be the drain plugs and resealed around the plate as the grommets had dry rot. Didn't solve it.

Curious for your experience - hope - strength - optimism lol - would really like to try and solve without having to go to a mechanic.

One the positive side, my bilge pump works amazingly well! If it fails, I'm f'd ;-(

Thanks!

(photos taken yesterday in Jacksonville)

Attachments

• IMG_6125.JPG
    IMG_6125.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6131.JPG
    IMG_6131.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6140.JPG
    IMG_6140.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6144.JPG
    IMG_6144.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Since the water is hot,,,you have a leak,,,a the lakeside cooling side…the lake water goes into the bottom of the exhaust manifold to cool it first and then it loops over to cool the water box,,,out the hose on it,,,start it up,,,see if there is a leak,,,or,,,take it to the ramp…seat off,,,machine secured,,,back into the water deep enuf for the pump to pump water,,,start it up,,,and look for the leak

I bought a new to me 2011 Speedster 150 255 and battled a constant water buildup in the bilge.

Mine too a long time to troubleshoot as it was difficult to nail down. In the end for me my aluminum exhaust can appears to have been installed improperly from the factory and the bottom of it was rubbing on the inside of the hull. It wore a hole in the can in the corner. When under heavy throttle the amount of water going in the can to cool it was leaking out into the bilge.

May not be your issue but...

I found it by running the boat with the engine hatch looking down and watching seeing water running from underneath it.

I bought a new to me 2011 Speedster 150 255 and battled a constant water buildup in the bilge.

Mine too a long time to troubleshoot as it was difficult to nail down. In the end for me my aluminum exhaust can appears to have been installed improperly from the factory and the bottom of it was rubbing on the inside of the hull. It wore a hole in the can in the corner. When under heavy throttle the amount of water going in the can to cool it was leaking out into the bilge.

May not be your issue but...

I found it by running the boat with the engine hatch looking down and watching seeing water running from underneath it.

Attachments

• 20200720_113447.jpg
    20200720_113447.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200721_081810.jpg
    20200721_081810.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200721_081819.jpg
    20200721_081819.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 5
BTW, the current factory bilge pump location sucks. It allows water to reach the bottom of the engine before it pumps. This alone will make the water warm when it pumps.

My issue was dependent on speed. The faster you ran in, the more water it moved which would subsequently leak. In my case the water was hot hot. You would almost burn your hand if you put it in the stream, which is conveniently located right under the driver position.

I replace the current pump with a Rule 900 GPM shallow unit. I put it on the other side in the low spot next to the tunnel.

Now, it will remove any water that gets in there.

As mentioned above check the hoses and water box clamps after the Can.

Another thing I did was fill the hull from the inside on the trailer and watch to see if it leaks anywhere. mine did not.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back