Water intake clearing strategies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

khangoroo

Hi all -

Can we get posts from both short-term and long-term owners of jet boats on strategies used to clear the jet pump when there is something lodged in the impeller?

It would be VERY helpful to get strategies especially keeping the boat in the water, rather than having to pull it out of the water on the trailer.

Thanks so much...listing tools used would be very helpful.

Hi,

My jet has picked up debris several times now. Most times I am far from shore or where I put it in the water. The first time I was sure the jet would be damaged if I kept going, due to the terrible vibrations sent through the whole boat, so to no avail I spent a lot of time and effort to beach it, prop it up on its side to access the intake grate, only to find the small piece of wood was so jammed up in the impeller that the whole intake grate would have to be removed to get it out. The fact that I was about 20kms from the boat ramp and tools I had no choice but to slowly limp back. I went about 10kmph and after about 20 min became very impatient. I decided to test my theory that if enough pressure was created in the cavitation of the jet pump the debris would be forced through the impeller by the hydraulic force of the water. I quickly cycled the throttle on and off about 5 times and sure enough the debris flew out and normal performance was restored. The engine has a rev limiter which would protect it from damage.
Since that first experience, I now have about 200hrs on my boat (PumpElishka) with about another 10 incidents of debris in pump. All now swiftly cleared with my fast throttle cycling technique! I have inspected the pump and found that the only visible damage is to the black plastic fins just in front of the impeller, some pieces of the ends are removed, this in no way seems to effect my performance. I do think that if the debris don't clear after about 5 fast throttle applications, it should be inspected to prevent major damage to the impeller or wear ring. Any major debris ingress to the impeller, i.e. ski rope, will stall the engine immediately and require removal when trailer-ed. ( I've had this happen once too!) This cannot be removed by the fast throttle technique and should not be attempted, you will most likely damage your pump assembly, starter motor/ ring gear.
I don't think a small debris should be allowed to stop you enjoying your day out on the water. Only attempt if you know the water has small floating debris in it, otherwise you may cause damage. If in doubt, trailer your boat and take it out the hard way!

Hope this helps, cheers!

Thanks for the tip. I recall the owner's manual and some posts from others that such a throttle cycling technique may work. If that happens to me again, I will try your technique. I guess I'm looking for some tips also on NOT having to trailer the boat and removing the intake grate. The first time this happened to me, I ended up trailering the boat, and exactly as you described, a very small piece of wood was lodged in the impeller so tight that I had to remove the intake grate. So I'm looking for some more tips on:
1. How to clear debris with the boat in the water (in addition to the technique you described).
2. How to clear debris with the boat out of the water, on a trailer. Have you found any useful tool, like a long metal stick of some sort or something else that can be used to more easily clear lodged wood bits?

Thanks!

I used to have a jet boat(not a Seadoo) and sometimes crap got caught in the pump.A sail boat repairer made me out of stainless wire a tool that helped.About a 5 foot long stainless wire and on each end was a clamped loop.(clamped over with a ferrule,I think he called it).You fed it into the pump beside the stick and a helper with a plastic rod pushed it back around the stick and back out to me.Two bits of wooden dowel in the end loops and you could pull the stick out.I still have it but have not have to use it on the ski as yet.(touch wood)
0----------------------0 It sort of looked like that.

I forgot to mention.You can buy a small pull saw that is set up the same as in the previous post but the wire used has tiny serations on it.They are sometimes sold in suvival kits,to be used as an emergency cutter.You loop the wire around a small log/stick and pull it back and forward to cut.You can also buy larger/longer versions of these that are used to cut the horns off cattle.They work very quickly and are pretty cheap.
OK you lot! stop laughing at me.(but they do work)

I second the first comment. I have the S200 and have to on occasion blip the throttles on both and it seems to work itself out. Recently I ran over a large fish in our local lake and it wasn't running quite right. Sounds gross but basically force the remains through the pumps and ground it out. I've had small branches ,weeds, reeds and done the same. The vibration is terrible but I'm not ending my day for a small twig.

I have removed a small stone the size of thumb nail stuck inbetween the impellor and wear ring using my 12inch socket set arm and the bendy extender. I went through the back of the impellor and pushed it back into the intake grate then put the boat back in the lake and rocked it up and down to flush out the stone.

Unfortunately, this could only be done by putting it back on the trailer i.e. I had to get towed 5km back to shore

Thanks I will try that to. Last time I had to pull it on the trailer and I used my tire wrench worked pretty good just bought a long crowbar I think that will work also

I bought a set of pry bars at the local auto store. The are like big screw drivers with a bend at the end. I used one to remove a chunk of plastic that was really jammed between the impeller and the wear ring.

crisso, you mean something like this:
125.jpg

Scott, you mean something like this:
126.jpg

Ha ha .from Australia .that's a great name.You missed the spelling though.KANGAROO(only kidding)
That is exactly what I have!!!!!
If you put it in the pump,whatever is stuck,is cut in half and falls out.Thank you so very much for putting the photos in.
Can you post this in the off topic page also please.Because it really does help if you are stuck

Any other tips out there anyone??

Crisso, are you saying you put one end in the intake and pull the other end through the impeller and out the other side of the jet pump? Aren't you worried about damaging the impeller or wear ring?

No.I goes in from either end(intake OR pump,whatever gives best access).It goes around the stuck object and back out the same end as it went in.You then pull on the 2 ends to dislodge the rock/stick.You may have to use a sawing motion to "wiggle" the rock/stick out.But it does work nearly every time.Sticks may be harder to get out than a rock because the impellar cuts a deep groove and it wedges in tight.The picture from 4 posts previous shows the little pull saw.It cuts the stick in half,it can then fall out.Hope this helps

For Scott RE:#6 post - How can a large fish get caught? Isn't the grate opening small enough to stop a large fish? Were you going slow or fast?
Sorry for the questions , just curious.
You coulda' made fish soup for dinner that night.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back