Warranty - Seadoo 150 Speedster 215Hp Supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shorox

Hi, thank you for the forum. I hope I can learn how to maintain my new seadoo speedster 150 215Hp Supercharged boat here. as the local Seadoo Boat dealer/servicing agent is very unhelpful and only talks about money when I phone him to ask a simple question.

Lowdown;
I imported a 2007 Seadoo Speedster 150 215Hp Supercharged boat last month from America bound for Australia. it arrived safely 2 hours on the clock. All I had to do was get it licensed in Australia and modify the trailer which wasn't a problem. if anyone needs advise on modifying the trailer to Australian standards I'll be happy to answer any question they have.

Problem: I am reading the manual I received with the boat. it talks about Warranty is for 2 years for personal use. My Local 'friendly' seadoo dealer says the Boat is Not Covered under Warranty because I imported it from America to Australia. they say this void's the warranty.
In the Manual it does not mention this. can anyone advise whether or not this is correct ???? because it seems a bit off to me. even my dell laptop that I bought in Korea is covered when I bought it to Australia. all I had to do is advise Dell of the Serial number of the laptop.

Warranty...

About your warranty. Usually, a warranty is purchased as an addition or comes with it when you sign the contract for the boat. So if you had it imported, where or who did you buy the boat from? If you bought it from a Sea-Doo distributer, then the guy you have spoke to on the phone, if he too is a Sea-Doo distributer, then he should honor your warranty. Importing the Doo shouldn't have anything to do with it since Sea-Doo is world wide.
I do know, that a warranty doesn't cover everything that could possibly go wrong with your boat.
The issue with you getting wood caught in your impeller, is your responsibility. If you were out during the time of "break-in" and the super charger blew, then they'd be responsible.
So the question is, where did you buy the boat? and when you purchased it, was it from a Sea-Doo dealer in America? If so, did you sign a warranty agreement? You'd need to read your contract and see what you purchased and to what type of guarantee they gave you to any damage incurred and for how long? .......see what I mean, it's a sticky situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will check with a dealer here local in Florida that exports to over seas areas. I believe that the warranty would not be void as long as you have a certified seadoo repair do the work to get it warrantied. As far as I know I just bought a new 200 speedster and it came with a 1 yr warranty or I could pay and extend it to a total of 3 yrs. I check it out and get back tomorrow...
Karl

Mis read....

O.k...I think I may have mis read some of your post before that answer. You say your manual says that you have a 2 year warranty. If that's the case and this guy on the phone is an authorized Sea-Doo distributer, then he does have to honor your warranty.
When you get the break-in period done, you'll be required by that 2 year agreement, to bring it in for service or that warranty will be in jeopardy. This guy your dealing with sounds like a shady character. He's probably mad cause you went around the middle man to get a good deal and he didn't make any profit off of you!....which is totally selfish.
You will need to read that manual and do what it says to do when the time comes to keep your boats 2 year warranty valid.
You might have to look for someone else and talk to them about your service, since I don't know if I'd trust this guy. He's liable to overlook something for a lack of caring on your behalf.

Hi seadoosnipe, and kustomkarl,

Thank you for your swift reply to my warranty issue. do believe the local (australian) seadoo dealer is pissed with me because I imported the boat myself. but in Australia the Seadoo 150 Speedster 2007 model sells for $46,000. I Imported it successfully for $20,000. less than half price.

I do not know if the USA dealer is an authorised seadoo dealer. their business name is:
East Bay Motorsports
510-889-7900

Hopefully my problem is fixed by me removing the tiny 4cm x 2cm price of wood stuck in the Impella. I will post a reply tomorrow when I take it out tonight to test.
If it is the problem with the supercharger blowing. I guess I will have a battle to try and get it fixed under warranty. from the local seadoo authorised service shop.

Question: for next time something gets stuck in the impella, is it safe to remove the grate so I can get more access to the impella

Question2. if a forign object causes the impella to do damage to the white Cylinder (water intake area) do I buy a whole new white cylinder. what is the cost of this ?

Yes you can take the grate off and remove the item. You shouldn't really have a problem replacing the tunnel as such around the impeller...The wear ring will take the abuse and it can be replaced. It's purpose it to protect the jet pump Tunnel as such to keep damage to a minimum. The cost here for a wear ring is about $45.oo usd. You could replace it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. We have manuals in the premium section that can help you do the repairs your self if needed. Click on the link "seadoo Manuals" at the top of the page for details.
Karl

prices...

Yeah, if you look through our members, you'll notice we have a few from down under. They say the same thing about the prices of the boats over there. It's highway robbery. So your probably right about them and their attitude cause you went and found a better alternative. But if your paper work says that boat is new and it's under an agreement to be serviced as a new boat is suppose to be, then they will have to honor that. You could write to the sea-doo web site direct if you have any problems with warranty work and I'll bet they'd do something about it. They may tell him he has to do the work or they'll pull their inventory from him........well, I doubt it would come to that, but I bet they would get involved.
I'm going to go look up that dealer and see what I can find. I'll bet with the boat being new, they are a Sea-Doo dealership........:cheers:

Dealer...

The dealer you purchased your Sea-Doo from is an authorized dealer for the Sea Doo watercraft.
If you purchased this from them and you say that you have a 2 year warranty with them, read your book/contract carefully because with that warranty, you'll have certain things you'll need to do to keep it from being voided.
The new 4 TEC engines are the top of the line and state of the art engines built for PWC's and boats. Don't take chances.
If you have questions as to what you need to do when the time comes, I'd go to this site http://www.eastbaymotorsports.com/default.asp and under the line, "email us", I'd send them email and ask the questions your asking us. They should be able to direct you and answer your questions on what you need to do to protect your engines and your warranty. Hell, I'd drop them a curteous email just to tell them how happy you are with the boat,etc...and casually ask them if they know of a dealer over there that will do the warranty work if and when you need it. I'm sure they can look it up for you and point you in the right direction...........:cheers:

If you have anymore questions or concerns give us a shout, this is a friendly forum with many active members eager to help and give advise.
Karl

USA to AUSTRALIAN Trailer Mods

Hi RichC,
The trailer Mods were quite indepth. I will list what was done; I was quoted $1400 to have a professhional do all the work, I got him down to $1000 as I did the electric's myself.

Hitch changed to 50mm
Disc Breaks Fitted to trailer
Solid Axel replaced hollow Axel
Mud Flaps fitted
Chains replaced to Australian standard
Lights replaced and changed to Break Lights and Orange flashing indicators
Orange Reflector Lights

Trailer Inspection total cost around $130

all in all, it was quite easy! :)

Custom fee?

Hello, Shorox.
I am curious whether you have a custom fee over there in Australia, couse here in Russia (I also imported my 1998 Speedster last year) I had to pay to the goverment 30% from the price of the boat. That makes importing a newer model very expensive. I wonder if all that margin in your local price is the dealer's proffit, or it's like in my case, the officials take a deep bite from your pocket.

Governments money hauls..?

Hmmmmm, I may have a business proposition for you then. If you have friends there wanting to buy a Sea-Doo and they find one on ebay. They can buy it, have it shipped to my address and for a small fee, I'd ship it to you, not as a purchased product but as a gift from a friend......:rofl:
I bet it wouldn't take them long to figure that one out and start taxing you on gifts received!.............:rofl:

Nice try, seadoosnipe :)

Yeah, I wish it was the case. Unfortunately they don't care if it's a gift or not, in order to clear custom I'd have to pay an "independent" expert to evaluate the machinery being imported, he would use a few catalogs including a www.kbb.com site in order to determine the correct price on the unit. Some people try low-balling for a few grands, but most of the time it doesn't work, so they go by the expert's price instead of the one you have in the invoice.
The same thing with mailing packages, it's free up to $400, a then 30% from the amount exceeding that. So, I was lucky that the Seadoo cover I ordered about 3 months ago was about 300, so I didn't pay anything, but for the motorcycle parts totaling $1100 arrived last summer they sure took their piece, I had to pay right at the post office.

Wow!....

Wow, that's unbelievable........goes to show the differences in regulations according to your geographical location. I've learned there are lots of differences in tariff's, duties and taxes.....depending on where you are. But it seems there, 30%, that's almost highway robbery!......

That's right, legalized robbery

I guess that's how Russian government is trying to stop cheap foreign products from flooding local markets, by that protecting local manufactures, at least that's what they want as to believe :(
The problem is local plants don't even make the kind of stuff people are trying to bring from overseas.

East verses West....

Your absolutly right.....Russia is a super power and the things offered you there, are different from the things offered here. I've seen many products made by russia, especially in their military equipment, when I used to be in the Navy, shadowing the Krivak class destroyers.
With Russia being a world leader, they too have many things that are manafactured, which they want there people to purchase....look at some of the cars there.....sure, there may be some Honda's and Mitsubishis.....but how many Chevrolet's or Fords do you see? I really have no idea about that. I've never been to Russia. When I was in your parts, the cold war was still in full swing. But I'd love to visit Red Square!....I'll probably make Russia a destination stop before I die.
In the west, we have Tariffs on everything imported also. I just don't think the Governments cut is as huge as yours.........What I do find funny....I do now as much as I did then, people all around the world have love and compassion in their hearts as any human being, no matter where you come from. Seems, the only thing that seperates the worlds population from being as "one" with humanity, is the "Governments"..........the political rat race and politicians......who want us all to stay divided. Why?.....I hadn't figure that out. It must be over money........everything is always over money.

Maybe the way would be to ship the seadoo over in like 6 easy to assemble parts, valued as scrap. think the government would believe it ?

Seadoosnipe,
well, that's pretty much a known fact that Russian military and space technology is one of the best, but they left everything else behind. Now it's very hard to stop people from buying much better product from other countries, so even a 30% cut does not stop everyone from doing it. You would be surprised to see how many new foreign car dealerships are here now, including Ford, Chevrolet, Cadillac. Actually I think every brand is now presented in Russia, at least in Moscow, like Ferrari and Lamborghini.
All of them have 30% added to the sticker price, on top of the shipping and profit. For example, it might be interesting to you, a new Lexus LS460L in US cost around $100000 but here it's $170000, I saw with my eyes yesterday.
I agree about political games as well, people are just people, now matter where they live, but when some people get power for some odd reason they involve the rest of us in their sick political games, sometimes to the absurd level. Well, I guess you just said it, the reason is money, the more they have it the more they need

kustomkarl,
that wouldn't work either, some wise guys already tried it with cars, shipping body and transmission separately, but now officials created troubles when you put everything together and try to register it

Power......

This goes to show you how the "money" minds are at work. What I mean by that, is that if we think of it, there has to be someone smarter than us in politics that will alwasy stay one step ahead to make the almight profit, whether it's euros, shilling, or rupals..............
After the fall of the USSR, I think us regular people, like yourself, was going to find the easier side of life to live on. But reading as much as I do, I have seen that Russia has had a hard economic time trying to make the transition. Which looks like is focused on corruption in politics, which is the same here. They call it "earmarking" or "pork barrel" spending......it's just a way to keep our money for themselves.
Then, it's people like you and me, stuck in the middle. And to let the average citizen find a better deal somewhere else, the politician is going to scream "foul".........."your taking the money out of our country and giving it to someone else"..!........................excuse me, it's my money!...I should be able to spend it anywhere I want to.......although, I know thats never the case. Not even here.
Right now, we just had a big competition where two airplane building companies bid on a huge, billion dollar contract. Boeing and EADS, which is a partnership with the Airbus company. When the contract was awarded to EADS, their was this huge scream of foul around the country, about buy American and now, the politicians are involved......."why?". This was business. The politicians had no reason to get involved. Now it's being uncovered that Boeing was lining the pockets of the politicians!....
It would be nice if all us citizens around the world could take over the governments and tell them to shut up......let us people all live as one, where we could learn from each other and have world wide relationships that have only been dreamed about!.............man, that would be great!....for me to come over and meet you and go out on the Black Sea for a ride!........forget the Ukraine......to cold up there!............:rofl:

I think the politics is too complicated to have a single correct opinion on any subject. While I agree with you on the fact that it's nobodies busyness where someone spends his money, but on the other hand the deal not going to Boeing really didn't help the weak dollar right now. The European company will be paid with dollars and then sell it right away, pushing it further down on forex, the American economy is fragile as it is now, so this event could have even more serious consequences that it seems to most people. I suppose your politicians know that and trying to do something
Anyway, the Black Sea in the summer is great, you should visit some time, by the way Ukraine has some great spots as well, I'm planing to go there in the near future. There is a city called Yalta, I think it is world famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back