Wakesurf behind a sportster/speedster?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewheels

Is it possible to wakesurf behind these great machines? I know these hulls doesen't make any great wakes for wakebording but is it possible to wakesurf? Do I need ballast or/and clamp on wakemaker or just forgett it? [emoji848]

I went out with two other adults (600 lb total), we all sat at the rear in the triple seat. I noticed that cruising off-plane, it made a decent wake. This is the Sportster single engine. It is not fast at all. I am running spring loaded trim tabs, so solo I top out at 34 mph. With 3 people we maxed about 25 mph with the trim tabs up.

I went out with two other adults (600 lb total), we all sat at the rear in the triple seat. I noticed that cruising off-plane, it made a decent wake. This is the Sportster single engine. It is not fast at all. I am running spring loaded trim tabs, so solo I top out at 34 mph. With 3 people we maxed about 25 mph with the trim tabs up.

I called a marine shop locally who is now raving about these "wake shapers"...

he mentioned that he's recently sold a number of Scarabs and Yamaha's on the premise that people want a "fast" runabout that's reasonable on fuel, while being able to ballast and surf as well...

I'm like you... I have a 95 Sporster I recently required, where the guy was "restoring" the boat... new graphics, fixed the hull/gelcoat, new interior and a whole new jet drive from the PTO, Driveshaft, all the way...

only thing is my 657x engine is getting long in the tooth, and I get a new one or a 717... it would be "awesome" to be able to surf behind our little sporster with the right amount of placed balast and a wake shaper...

you only have to go 10.5 for the perfect low impact speed for surfing

wow that'd be a cheap alternative to a 6 figure malibu

How easy is it to pick and maintain a specific speed like 10.5 mph? Will the hull/motor/jet pump combo allow the right conditions you need for this?

I'm just getting to know my boat and it has a lot of little glitches in how it operates. It pretty much wants full power to get up on plane then you can dial it back to a slower speed on plane. Cruising at a steady slow speed might be a challenge given the current state of tune.

race horse vs plow horse?

How easy is it to pick and maintain a specific speed like 10.5 mph? Will the hull/motor/jet pump combo allow the right conditions you need for this?

I'm just getting to know my boat and it has a lot of little glitches in how it operates. It pretty much wants full power to get up on plane then you can dial it back to a slower speed on plane. Cruising at a steady slow speed might be a challenge given the current state of tune.

race horse vs plow horse?

the more I talk to people... Jet boats are the only alternative to a direct drive/v drive boat permittable for wake surfing, but you need a long and deep hull with balast... as well as something to keep the jet wash down.

the Yamaha wake jet boats or the Seadoo 230s use something simlar to Malibu's "the wedge" to achieve this, and is very functional... but for smaller boats or the 2 engine boats, there just isn't that out of the box option, the lenght or hull design or a way to keep the jet wash down (especially with 2 jets)

but if someone has had success using ballast and a wake shaper, please let us know

Reading the replys I come to the conclusion that it probably wont be able to do jumps etc on the wake [emoji23]....but with a little persuation maybe get a wake thats at least surfeble,just to get a taste of that infinate wake

Regarding the speed (if I understood this right...) you don't want the boat to plane...and with some sort of ballast in the rear donno if it will plane at 10,5....will it?
Totally agree that these boats are difficult to maintain speed not in plane

Maybe impeller selection would allow a slow travel speed with the motor running at a happy RPM.

Maybe twin motors would allow you to adjust or enhance the wake by varying the engine speeds to make the boat travel crookedly; crabwalking.

How do you select a tower configuration, swept forward or backwards?

Donno about the tower. I'm going for a classic swept backwards. Easier to find mountingpoints and I think it suits the boat better.

with "Twin" motors, I don't believe you can deal with the wash.

I've heard that the single motor Sportster >2k Rotax motors in say the speedster or the bigger 150 4tec, with well past the 650lbs payload rating, this can be done with a wake shaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back