Vts, Maybe Mpem Trouble....help!!!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

josh42575

I Burned Up My Vts Module And Got A New One.. Pluged It In And It Also Burned Up Instantly. Also The Mpem Started Smoking As Well. I Immediately Unplugged The Vts But It Was Too Late. It Starts And Runs But The Guages Dont Work. I Know I Smoked The Mpem But Im Afraid To Pay The $600 To Buy A New One Plug Everything In And Have It Burn Up Too. I Checked All The Wires And Cant See Any Shorts So What Else Could It Be Or Was It Maybe A Bad M-pem To Begin With????? Help

Rectifier?

Sounds like it could be your voltage regulator or rectifier. The magneto puts out a high amount of AC current and the rectifier converts it to DC and regulates the current to a maximum of 13.5 volts. That's what I'd check. If you do anything and get it running, then use a multi meter and see how many DC volts are going to your battery.

Check to see what size fuse you have installed for the trim. I believe it should be a 7.5 amp fuse. Did you replace the VTS housing and the motor or just the housing? The housing has the control module only and not the motor. If you motor is bad, drawing too many amps and you have a 15 amp or larger fuse in the MPEM, you can fry the module. Done it before...$$$$

12.51?

You said you had 12.5 running, what did you have with it shut down. If the voltage is the same running as it is while it's shutdown, sounds like it could be in your rectifier/charging system.
I see Don has read your post and he's given you some advice. I'm not going to be much more help here because the electrical side of these things aren't my forte....
Good luck!....I hope Don can get you going.

Mpem Help............please

As Posted Earlier, I Smoked My Mpem. Im Finding Them On Ebay But They Arent Exactly The Same. I Have A 98 Seadoo Xpl 951 And My Mpem Has The 2 Plug Mpem And The Ones Im Finding Have Three. Ive Been Told It Will Work And If So What Is The Trird Plug In For???

Also I Have To Replace The Vts And Am Finding Newer Ones With The Three Plug Variation, Mine Is The Two Plug, But The Colors All Match Up.. Can I Splice Them Matching The Colors???

yeah..... ive already sent out the order for the new vts and mpem, i was hoping for a slightly cheaper alternative. so far a small screw up has cost me in excess of $800 but youre absolutely right.

When you get it?

When you get your new equipment, I'd make sure you use the right size fuses to protect your module and if possible, check your battery's voltage as soon as you start it up to see that your rectifier is working properly. If it is, you should be getting about 13.5 while running and a little over 12 when it's shut down.......
Let us know how you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back