VTS & Magneto problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

get_real

Haven't posted for awhile but starting running my 96' XP again and have an issue I could use some help with.

When I first bought the ski from a dealer 6-7 years ago it ran great but the VTS didn't work and was disconnected. I found the trim motor was frozen so replaced that. Then found other issues with the mechanism that goes in & out as the trim moves and with the sensors that measure the trim position. I finally got it working, however after running the ski for a day or two the motor starting missing and finally stopped running. Took it back to the dealer and he said the magneto had gone bad. He replaced it but I found he disconnected the VTS again. However I really wanted the VTS working so hooked it up again. Then a few weeks later the same symptoms came back, bad magneto. The dealer replaced it once more time and told me if I hooked up the VTS again he would not replace the magneto again under warranty. He really couldn't explain to me why the VTS was causing the magneto to fail.

So recently I decided to try and bypass the original wiring and added a waterproof 3-way toggle switch just below rear of the seat that I can operate when riding. I have a battery tender harness on the battery so I took power from that connector, ran it to the toggle switch, and then directly to the trim motor, bypassing all the original wiring. It worked and the trim goes up an down, the only downside being I have no limit switch so have to reply on the trim gage and some common sense. However the first trip out we felt it start missing a little so I disconnected the power to the VTS. I feel like I'm off just a little rpm right now and have possibly damaged the magneto.

Can anyone tell me why this may be happening, and if there may be a better way to keep the VTS system working.....it's very frustrating. Also is there a way I can test the magneto to see if it is damaged?

Yes, this is very common. When the actual "brain" module on the VTS unit goes bad it is known to short out the MPEM computer for the ski and can damage other parts which is what happened to you.

You can either replace the entire unit with a good tested used one, brand new or search for "The trim Fix" and add external relays to bring back the limit switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back