Utopia205 Winter Projects & Upgrades

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirSniper

Found some great tips & advice while surfing through the forum & wanted to share. My first post, I will attempt to include original links & some photos.
First, my speedo didn’t work. Found some troubleshooting tips which led me to buy a new paddlewheel assy. That didn't work so I got a new speedo which now works when the paddlewheel is spun. $79 and it looks nearly original, only slight differences. The new one plugs right into existing harness - the old one had a harness to the original plug.
IMG_2083.jpgIMG_2084.jpgIMG_2085.jpg

Since the dashboards looked pretty worn, I tried some conditioners which did not work very well. I acted on a tip & painted both dashes. The paint was specific for plastic & looks and feels like it will last.

Here is the original link:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...Utopia-Dash-Adding-Gauges&p=275525#post275525
I had the 4-beeps every 2 minutes & after checking oil levels & emptying the fuel filter/water separator, still had it. Had a chance to work on this in the garage-changed out the fuel filter/water separator with a new one. Learned that the old one was shorted.
Troubleshooting tip for the unknown beep – If there is continuity on the pin to ground, the water sensor will set off the beep. Haven’t put any time on the boat since, but confident this will fix the beep.
Took on two more challenges for improvement; The first was replacing the engine sound absorbing foam. See the following link:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?43476-Replacing-sound-barrier&p=200803#post200803
Looks great & cost less than $20! I used the same materials suggested & “Super 77” spray glue by 3M. I am very happy with the results.
The next project was to install the Smartcraft Monitor system. A bit of coaching from RacerEddie and a bit of homework, I tried not to be scared. Just finished last night, again very happy with the results. See link:
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...r-Install-in-a-Utopia-205&p=295800#post295800
I used a regular tape measure to snake the cable & used some nylon straps to tie down the cables. To make the hole in the dash, I used a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutter specific to plastic/fiberglass. Worked nicely, I was thrilled to find out that my Utopia has 101 hours on it. Total cost = about $300 with Monitor, Harness, & dremel.
I haven’t been able to figure out how to insert photos. If I do, I will post them. May have something to do with Windows Explorer. I’ll look for a 12 year-old to help.
I need to thank Racer Eddie & all the others who helped me be courageous and provided the great ideas and help to make these projects turn out well. This forum is great, and the members are super. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2111.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 25
Some more pics:
The blue harness is for the monitor & the connection is in a similar place as the 240 Opti. There is a pic of the harness going to the monitor - this was taken through the seatback & shows some nylon straps to secure the cable from chaffing & making sure it does not interfere with moving parts - steering wheel ...etc.

IMG_2112.jpgIMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpgIMG_2116.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back