Utopia Table Waterlogged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at buying a 2007 Utopia 205. The owner, who bought it new in 2009, says that the cockpit tabletop was damaged and discarded. He said that since it's stowed under the sundeck pad but on top of the motor cover in the recess, and that's where you typically store your life vests, deflated innertubes, etc., that the formica-covered particle board tabletop soaked up water, swelled, and became unusable. First question - has anyone else experienced this? I would have thought Sea Doo would make a water resistant tabletop for use in a boat. Second question - I see I can buy a replacement Sea Doo tabletop for $186+shipping. Will it be the same inferior design or has Sea Doo since realized the error of their ways and replaced the particle board table top with a composite plastic or fiberglass one that won't warp when exposed to water? Third question - anything in particular I need to pay attention to when making a purchase decision on this boat? Thanks in advance for your help - FYI I did search for "Utopia table" to see if there were any existing posts on the subject but didn't find any...

I just recently bought the exact same year and model. My table top also is delaminated. My plan is to take it to a countertop place, and see what they will charge me to cut out the same size from a solid surface material. That way, it won't ever delaminate. If the price is reasonable, I may buy it. But to be honest, I haven't yet had the need to use the tabletop in the half dozen times I have taken out the boat...so I might just save my money. Since you don't have the old version, you would need to make a cardboard template from the depression in the stowage area. Shouldn't be that difficult to do.

As to your third question, I haven't had my boat long enough to offer any pointers, but I'll be adding to my Utopia Starting issue thread after I finish this sentence.

My table top is fiberglass or plastic on a 2004 Utopia. There is no wood.

You may want to compare to the 2004 parts.

My table did the same thing and I was thinking about discarding it and getting a replacement at the counter store. Lo and behold, after a week, it dried amd almost returned to its original shape. I have been more careful with water in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow... I was un aware that they changed to a table that has no reason to be in a boat. To make a wood table is just dumb !!

Like the comment above, about the 2004 Utopia... the table in my Islandia is Fiberglass.

Well, I went ahead and bought the '05 Challenger oval table. Once I receive it, I'll post how well it fits in the recess and if there are any mounting issues.

So, I got the '05 and up Challenger table. The table base fits perfectly on the Utopia table post, and other than the fact that the table is brilliant white and the rest of the boat is tan, it works fine. Even has recesses for two drinks in the table. For storage, it looks like the stock Utopia table fit top side up with the table base over a stubby post in the middle of the storage recess under the sun deck. Because of the drink holder recesses in this table, it doesn't fit top side up, but it does fit upside down in the recess, and with the deflated tube and life jackets I have stored under the sun deck, the recess will hold it securely enough that it shouldn't move around at all. Bottom line, the '05 and up Challenger table is a good (though not perfect, if you're concerned about the storage fit) replacement option for an '07 Utopia table. Looking forward to having our Saturday morning coffee out on the lake!

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you. I don't really care about the table, but it is my wife's favorite feature. Maybe because it helps when feeding lunch to three hungry kids! BTW, I store my table upside down too and it will get wet at times, but as I said it's fiberglass so it hasn't been a problem.

You'll have to post some pictures. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back