Updated Fuel Float

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.
As most of you know, the older style fuel floats become saturated in fuel over time and dont float anymore. Mine was doing that (gauge always read empty). So i replaced with the updated fuel float and now it doesnt read empty. But i am having a problem with the float "sticking"....its never read over 3/4 of a tank. And it reacts really slow after you have filled up the gas tank. Sometimes while youre out on the water bouncing around, the gauge will change and read properly. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with the newer style fuel floats.
Thanks.

Are you sure the circuit board didn’t move out of position when you had the end cap off?

All the ones I have seen have a ton of room for the float to move without getting stuck.

The type of board that has all of the circuitry on the float side will allow the new style float to stick, this is true... but the thought was that out bouncing around riding would make the sticking a non issue, since it didn't take much to unstick it.

The type of board that has all of the circuitry on the float side will allow the new style float to stick, this is true... but the thought was that out bouncing around riding would make the sticking a non issue, since it didn't take much to unstick it.

I have installed at least 20 of the new ones and never had a single one stick and I always check them before reinstalling and they slide perfectly smooth. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I have installed at least 20 of the new ones and never had a single one stick and I always check them before reinstalling and they slide perfectly smooth. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Must be. I have had several (any time i'm repairing the type pictured) and I kicked the concern back to Nick Grillo.. shortly after that I noticed a disclaimer on his website about the floats potentially sticking. Minor annoyance really..
20170601_195309.jpg

What year is that from? I don’t remember all the little resistors but then again I never paid much attention to it either.

That is exactly how my 96 spx circuit board looks like and I think that is the reason why the float gets stuck sometimes. Like I said, bouncing around on the water does free it up but I just find the gauge is a lot less accurate then my other spx with the original style float in it. I guess there really is no fix for it, just have to live with it and be glad it actually works. Thanks for the suggestions and input guys. Much appreciated.

Recently purchased a 96xp and had the exact same issue. I have the updated float and it sticks to the board. It was never accurate. Although it would update after a few large bounces. I never knew how much gas was in the tank and ran out recently. Thankfully a buddy towed me in. Long story short, I "updated" to a 93 xp fuel neck which eliminated the sticking float. The newer style floats have 2 magnets unlike the original 1 magnet floats that become saturated. The newer magnets are too strong, imo. Maybe you could remove a magnet, but would that provide an accurate reading still? If you pull the assembly out of the tank you can drop the float in and tilt it back and forth to see if the float sticks or moves free.

Did i mention i've had a long work week and i might be losing my mind?
Correction: i had an extra 93xp fuel sender "baffle" and replaced the 96 one. They are nearly identical, same with the tanks. The 93' baffle did not cause the new float to stick to the pcb board unlike the 96 baffle that was factory.

To fix your issue, you need another fuel sender. Has anyone tried to remove one of the magnets from the new style floats? My new oem float has 2 strong magnets unlike the original which had 1 weak magnet.

I just fixed a problem like this 2 days ago. The float and screen were missing (fell into the tank). I put a new float in and it was sticking at empty. After a close inspection, I found a magnet from the old float stuck to the circuit board. I took the little magnet out and it worked fine.

Chester

I know this is an old thread but I replaced the float with a OSD float on my 95 xp and even on rough water it isn’t accurate. I ohmed the unit with the old float and it was in spec. The new float stuck in the tube from the start. If I shook it it moved. It isn’t any better then having a broken unit. If you hit a big wake it reads full. Next wake it may read empty. Any suggestions?
I like my stuff to work.

The problem on my 95 xp was the float saturated with fuel. The magnets were fine. Installed new one in January. I don’t think I kept the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back