Two wire speed sensor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

400hp302ci

I have a 97 Challenger. My speedometer was not functioning so I purchased a new speed sensor. The new speed sensor has three wires, but when I removed my original speed sensor it has only two wires. How do I wire up the three wire speed sensor into my two wire system?

Greetings,
Just bought one myself to replace the one I have on a 2004 Utopia 205. Same situation. Sea Doo no longer sells the 2 wire and everyone is saying that the 3 wire should work. According to what I read, it should be the purple/yellow and red/black wires. The website I bought it from suggested "trial and error" meaning trying all combinations to see what works. I was trying to test the one I had with a digital voltmeter and it didn't seem to work. It should produce a voltage when moving the wheel slowly is my understanding. The part number of the old one (on the boat) was 278000970. They sent 278002076 which they claimed it was a direct replacement. There is also 278001998. I'm going to contact the company on Monday. Can you let me know if you get it yours working please. Thanks.

IMG_0493.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Just bought one myself to replace the one I have on a 2004 Utopia 205. Same situation. Sea Doo no longer sells the 2 wire and everyone is saying that the 3 wire should work. According to what I read, it should be the purple/yellow and red/black wires. The website I bought it from suggested "trial and error" meaning trying all combinations to see what works. I was trying to test the one I had with a digital voltmeter and it didn't seem to work. It should produce a voltage when moving the wheel slowly is my understanding. The part number of the old one (on the boat) was 278000970. They sent 278002076 which they claimed it was a direct replacement. There is also 278001998. I'm going to contact the company on Monday. Can you let me know if you get it yours working please. Thanks.

View attachment 59833
Yes I got it to work. The black wire goes to ground. The solid red wire on the sensor plugs into the purple with a yellow stripe. And the yellow/black stripe plugs into the solid black. Spun the wheels with compressed air and the gauge read 15mph.

Yes I got it to work. The black wire goes to ground. The solid red wire on the sensor plugs into the purple with a yellow stripe. And the yellow/black stripe plugs into the solid black. Spun the wheels with compressed air and the gauge read 15mph.
Interesting. Just trying to digest what you wrote. Your original statement was "how to connect a 3 wire sensor to a connector that had 2 wires". Your solution was to ground the 3rd wire (black wire) and connect the remaining to wires in the complement you describe, to the 2 wire connector. Do I have this right? Also would you mind sharing the part number that you have? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back