Tuned Pipe

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrump

I was curious if anyone knows if the tuned pipe on a 99 speedster sk is cast aluminum?

Thanks,
Scott

Leak

I have a small leak on one of the cuircular shaped welds just after the first curve from the head. I took it off tonight to have it welded tommorrow, but wondered what material it was made of in order to find the correct welder. I would think that they would know, but want to make sure.

Thanks for the input,

Scott

Cleaning the tuned pipe

Is there ever a time to clean out these tuned pipes? I noticed alot of carbon buildup on mine and the water cooling tubes are quite corroded. Any ideas on how to get these clean?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I've been told "Salt Away" is a good way for you to fight salt water corrosion. If the cooling system is not doing it's job than a clean out is in order. You don't want to have a overheating problem. If you run in salt water be sure to run it on the hose every time to take it out of the water. In fresh water it's not a big deal. The "Salt Away" attaches to the garden hose and works real good. If you have to tear down the exhaust I would use "Purple Stuff" cleaner. I have had good personal results with this cleaner.

Karl

I'm not in salt water over here, but the water around here has a lot of minerals, it tends to calcify quickly. It isn't bad at the head only after. Where do find the purple stuff cleaner, I've never heard of it.

Thanks,
Scott

I get it at Wall mart, Auto Zone, Pep boys and Advanced Auto Parts...maybe NAPA too. It is called "Purple Stuff" or "Purple Power" It is strong, be careful to keep off painted surface and it will do a number on your bare hands after a while, so wear gloves if you hands are in it while using it. It takes off my finger prints when I wash down the under carriage of my vehicles...Yea, I'm anal about my vehicles too! The gallon cost like about $6.00.

Karl

Clean

Thanks Kustom K, that cleaner is insane. I got the tuned pipe clean and used it on the driveway where the oil from flushing out my speedster and ski stains it.................oh ya and by the way......I have no fingerprints.:)

Thanks,
Scott

my Gti has a pinhole leak in the tuned pipe at a circular weld also, noticed it today while running it on land with garden hose, glad I caught it now before i hit the water, I took the top portion of my tuned pipe off and am curious to how to repair it, looks like cast aluminum also. Did you take yours to a local welding shop to get it fixed, curious to know where the best place is to take it to get it welded or is there another way to fix it? Mine is corroded also inside with alot of black goo, looks like I need to purple power mine also......

Mike

I would call and find out if the welder is qualified to weld on cast aluminum first. The cost for me was $36.02w/ tax. It works great, and the purple power works great too, just watch your fingertips. Let me know how it works out.

scrump

Gumbo

Kustom K,

mmmmmmmmmmmmm............................gumbo is right up my alley as a recovering cajun............lived in Lafayette, LA for two years, lived off gumbo!!!!!!...............easy on the cayenne though, or it will clean a different type of tuned pipe.............:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

tuned pipe hole

G'day guys,
be carefull with the holes in your tuned pipe, make sure you repare them properly. Look what happens when you get a combo of bad repair and leaking magneto connection. Water was spraying straight into the plug.

Attachments

• 20042008 013.jpg
    20042008 013.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 57
scrump,

got it welded up today at a local welding-fabricating shop, the guy used a brazing rod and a torch to fix it took about 10 min tops and cost $25 bucks, I took it home cleaned it up, repainted it, installed it and fired the engine up with water hose and the leak is fixed...all is good now......ready for the lake this weekend.

gunsrunner,

Wow .........how did u repair your leaks, did u weld it? curious cause i just had mine welded up today I guess I will have to keep a eye on my weld cause mine was spraying the magneto too.

Mike

Damage

Wow guns, that looks bad. :ack: I'm sure that is worse case senario, right? Mine was not leaking towards the magneto, but shooting a stream across and landing right on my battery. I find it is always good to take a gander into the engine compartment when out having a good time, just to make sure something like in the pic is not happening.

Mlitt,
Glad to hear you got your tuned pipe ready to go, it is probably good considering the picture and you saying that it was hitting your megneto!!!! I would just keep an eye on it like you said. Mine was braised also, I started it up with the hose attached and gave a good push on the throttle to make sure it would hold up. Seems good so far.....................I'm heading over to Brantley Lake here in good old New Mexico for some fun this weekend and will keep an eye on mine also. :cheers:

scrump

Tuned Pipe weld

is removing this pipe easy? Also is putting a welded pipe back on easy?

I would love to get it welded on my own rather than replacing.

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back