Trying to get 2005 GTX running

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

snrusnak

Hi I'm new here and brand new to PWC (all watercraft, actually). I just bought a pair of 2005 GTX models, one is NA I think 155 and the other is supercharged I think 215. I honestly don't know a lot about them, we have been trying to get some skis all summer and right now they're next to impossible to find. A buddy was selling these, I did some quick Google searching and they seemed to be good models. He gave us a really good deal so we bought them. They're relatively well maintained, not excellent. Oil changed every season, spark plugs, flushed, washed, that's probably about it. Overall they're pretty clean. The supercharger was replaced not long ago also. The NA ski will start but he said it won't go above 4k rpm and gives a code but he didn't get the code. I haven't put it in the water yet. The SC one cranks but wont fire. They have about 200 hours on them, maybe 200 something I forget. I plan to change the fuel filters as I read they don't last but about 100 hours. Will do oil, plugs, the typical stuff. I want to get them running before I dive into further maintenance, etc. Both have good compression, 120 psi on the SC one and 160psi on the NA. I'm sure I'll be asking for more help, I'm very mechanical but first time touching a PWC. I've read the owners manual front to back, have a service manual, and have been searching on forums a lot. My first question is one that will get me flamed....lol. oil for the SC one. I did see all the threads about it. Owners manual says use conventional oil, some sources show certrain synthetics are ok, amsoil has the tech bulletin for their oil, etc. My question mainly is that I decided to go with the amsoil four stroke marine oil, but they don't offer it anymore. It changed names it looks like to amsoil marine oil. This oil is JASO MA which I didn't think was good based on their chart in their tech bulletin. The old oil was MA2. Trying to get some clarification. I assume with the SC recently rebuilt it doesn't have ceramic in it anymore but don't know for sure. Thanks in advance, dying to get these on the water! Forgot to mention also they ran last year, set up over winter and then are not running. Being they came from a friend I trust they were running fine last year.

The factory recommended oil is semi-synthetic blend, you can't run full synthetic in these because of the supercharger. The oil has to be compatible for wet-clutch use. I would stick with the XPS oil, the only other one I have tried it is the Lucas Motorcycle semi-synthetic for wet-clutch use that matches Seadoos requirements. As far as starting, make sure your batteries are fully charged, Seadoos don't like low battery voltage. Has to be near 12.5v to avoid weird issues. The one that won't go over 4k, I would check the SC slip first. Pull off the intake hose to the SC and see if the SC impeller can be moved easily with your finger tips. If so, that is probably your issue. You said it had a code, you can access those from the display by going through the menus to get to Fault Codes. If there is an active code, it will be there and you can look up what it means. If you plan on keeping these, I would invest in a Candoo Pro for home use. Comes with 4 licenses. I have 2 PWC's and and a Seadoo boat, it has been the best investment in troubleshooting issues on my Seadoos.

Thanks for the response. I need to clarify, the supercharged one will not fire, it just cranks. The one that won't go over 4k rpm is the naturally aspirated one. I'll still do that SC impeller check, though. I'll look into that scantool also. I am somewhat familiar with this type of stuff as I use hptuners on my LS platforms. So the semisynthetic xps oil is OK even if the SC has the ceramic discs? I assume when th SC was rebuilt they were replaced with steel but I can't be sure.

first thing if they have been seating around for too long is swap that old gas
continue with spark plugs replaced and oil change, for the NA i will use
Shell Rotella T6 5w40 its what i have been using on my 2010 GTX 155 for years with no issues, Check all fuses etc hope this help

Thanks for the response. I need to clarify, the supercharged one will not fire, it just cranks. The one that won't go over 4k rpm is the naturally aspirated one. I'll still do that SC impeller check, though. I'll look into that scantool also. I am somewhat familiar with this type of stuff as I use hptuners on my LS platforms. So the semisynthetic xps oil is OK even if the SC has the ceramic discs? I assume when th SC was rebuilt they were replaced with steel but I can't be sure.
if it is supercharged, you have to use the semi synthetic XPS. you can run synthetic on the non-supercharged one.

Do you have a fully charged battery and load tested?,,
To check for fuel, remove the connectors to the coil packs,,,remove/lift the fuel rail,,,put s towel over the cylinder head,,,put the key on,,listen if the pump primes up,,,,try to start it,,you should see a nice conical spray pattern,,if not,check fuel pressure, the specs are on line,,,to check how healthy your fuel is,,,remove fuel fitting at the gas tank,,put a clear 5/16 hose over the fitting with a white clean pail outside the ski,,,try to start it,,,the fuel will be pumped into your pail,,,you will also see if you have water in the tank,,,it will settle to the bottom,,,the ski needs fuel, spark, and compression to run,,
I don't know the compression specs,,,but they should be within 10% of eash other.

Thanks for all the tips. I havent' done any digging yet, I brought them home and parked them. I will be working on them this weekend and intent to do these tests ya'll are mentioning. He did say he put some fresh fuel in them (though it was probably on top of old fuel) and he said he just put two brand new batteries in (but I will still check them). I ordered the oil, fuel filters, and plugs last night.

So I did some troubleshooting and so far all good news. The NA one fires right up and runs great. Revs good, etc. It is building crankcase pressure. I am going to look in the service manual for how to troubleshoot the TOPS valve, as it seems the most likely culprit. I did test resistance on the TOPS valve with it unplugged and am getting 0 (however, I tested the SC ski also and also getting 0.....gotta figure out if that's realy or if I'm having a blonde moment...). I also figured out the NA ski only has 98 hours on it, which is a somewhat nice surprise.

The SC one will fire up 50% of the time, and run for ~10 seconds or so. It won't take any throttle (bogs), and when it dies it idles up a litte bit intermittently before shuttind down. All this leads me to believe fuel starvation. I was going to check fuel psi on both skis but apparently my huge auto kit doesn't have the correct adapter for the watercraft, so I'll have to go out later today and see if anyone carries the right part. Anyone know what specific adapter is needed for this? The other 50% of the time when the ski won't start it just cranks and will either try to fire and die or sometimes backfire. I did pull the rail/injectors on both skis and all injectors are spraying. It's hard to see the pattern but the spot they're spraying was soaked, so for now the injectors seem OK. I'm leaning more towards a fuel psi issue (clogged filters or fuel pump bad). I'm thinking this would make sense on the SC ski as it has 226 hours and almost certainly original filters.

Other good news is both batteries are holding a good charge (12.7v even after a bunch of cranking), the coolant which I assumed to be original looks extremely clean so I'm guessing it was service, and overall they seem to be in pretty good condition now that I've inspected them further.

Any ideas are appreciated! I'm going to pull the intake later and check that supercharger to see if it spins freely. What exactly am I looking for there?

Well I figured out that I could use my fuel pressure test kit by TEEing in between the fuel pump and line quick disconnects. The NA model is showing 45 basically at all times (running, not running). The SC one is about 40psi. I'm thinking again this is not enough pressure, I gotta check the manual...

So I'm waiting for fuel filters to arrive, gonna try that first. Fuel psi spec is 42-45, so 40 is a hair low. Not sure if this is really the issue...

I tried to do a bunch of electrical troubleshooting today, and I'm decent with a multimeter, but got a lot of weird results...

Now that I've learned a little more about the skis, I verified the TOPS valve on the SC one is working and the TOPS valve on the NA one is not. I used a different multi meter and both TOPS valves have 2.4 ohms resistance (spec is 1.27-2.47), so it's close, but both check out. The NA one that isn't working, you can hear it humming.

I checked the TOPS switch on both skis and both fail the test and I believe the instructions in the service manual are wrong. It says to check resistance across pins A & C, but then shows a picture checking between B & C. When I check using A the multimeter goes blank. When I check using B I get 28-30 ohms in the UP position (spec is 35ohms), and 1/infinite in the upside down position on both skis (spec says 10 ohms). So, both switchs "fail", however, I tested them both on the SC ski that has the working TOPS valve and both make the valve actuate when you flip them upside down...

I also checked the OSPS switch on the NA one, as I'm trying to verify if the TOPS valve is bad or it's not getting the correct signal (the valve is like $250). I checked the resistance from the OSPS terminal (unplugged) to battery ground per the manual and came up with like ~1.5 ohms on both skis. Spec says "close to zero", so I guess that's good? I didn't do the running test as it was more complicated, and I didn't really understand what to do...

So I think the TOPS valve is bad on the NA ski, but tomorrow I'm going to swap the TOPS valves on the skis to verify since I haven't been able to definitively verify with the multi meter.

Swapped TOPS valves around and the one is faulty. So ordering it now, that should be all that ski needs to run. Waiting on fuel filters to arrive next week to try on the SC one to see if that's the culprit. Still gotta check the supercharger also, gonna do that now.

Ok so I checked the supercharger impeller, I can spin it in either direction just barely, like maybe a couple degrees, then it gets extremely difficult and I can't even really turn it at all with my fingertips. I believe this is how it's supposed to be, which is good news. Right now I'm hanging my hat on the fuel filters...just gotta wait for the delivery man...

Great news, got both skis running! The NA ski obviously sat a long time without running, the fuel pump was all gummed up. It was able to run because the fuel filter literally disintegrated. The supercharged ski had filters in place but they were blocked up pretty good. After replaceing the filters they run great. Gonna water test tomorrow!!!

Gonna water test today, will post back later, but wanted to share the pictures. Yikes!!! I'm a bit worried I'll end up have injector issues on the NA one, that's the one these pictures are from. Will need a new float switch also as the wiring is ate up. Still working currently though...I carefully positioned the wires so they don't touch lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20210730_201425811.jpg
    PXL_20210730_201425811.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20210730_223533770.jpg
    PXL_20210730_223533770.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210730_202113484.jpg
    PXL_20210730_202113484.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 15
Everything went pretty good today. Both ran well, no real issues. A couple minor things. One has a damaged gas cap, and the one that has the rubber coating all falling off the level/float in the gas tank if you change speed rapidly I guess the fuel sloshes and causes the wires to touch so the fuel gauge momentarily goes out and beeps at you. And I got ejected doing about 50-60mph which was my own inexperienced fault lol, but I was fine, no pain and only lost a fitbit watch and cheap glasses. So other than some dignity we are all good. Going back out tomorrow, we filled the tanks up and they didn't even come off full!!!

I forgot to mention one other issue is on the NA ski the speedometer and water temp don't seem to work. The speedometer bounced around a couple times. I'll check wiring and test the sensor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back