Trying to get 2001 Sea Challenger with Mercury M2 EFI running!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwescott

Bought the boat for really good price knowing it was going to need some TLC. Had a blatant fuel delivery issue as fuel was pouring out of throttle body. Pulled apart and found lines going into fuel rail were disconnected and a couple other little things inside that lead me to believe someone had it apart and didn't reassemble properly. Was turning over weak replaced battery fixed that checked for spark and at initial crank lights up good with great spark then kind of petered out to what seems like weak spark. I see people all over the forum saying unhook throttle guardian was hoping some one has a picture of it and what to disconnect? If fuel and spark are they what am I missing? Dosn't seem to be trying to start at all. Thanks in advance!

TG is a black box in helm box about 1x3x5 inch. Cut the black wire with yellow stripe. That's it.
Note, not all boats have TG.

Check your stator wires. The OEM units had crappy insulation that crumbled over the years.
You are right about battery. The ECU does not do well with low voltage.

Check compression, all plugs out at WOT.

TG is a black box in helm box about 1x3x5 inch. Cut the black wire with yellow stripe. That's it.
Note, not all boats have TG.

Check your stator wires. The OEM units had crappy insulation that crumbled over the years.
You are right about battery. The ECU does not do well with low voltage.

Check compression, all plugs out at WOT.
Okay so took to local mechanic for a look over and compression test. 5 cylinders at 115lbs and one at 90lbs which is cause for concern also said possibly running on only 3 cylinders. I’m on the edge of having engine pulled out and torn into or just selling boat. What can I expect best case worst case and any idea on cost $$$$$

Have you looked at the wires from the trigger? Sounds intermittent- just like crumbly insulation. About $100.

Have your injectors ever been serviced? At some point, your boat probably sat for a time-months? Years? They are 19 years old. They could be in any condition. About $120, plus gaskets.

Low compression. Was it checked with WOT? Makes a difference. If the numbers are correct, about $3000-$4500.

Had throttle bodies off and injectors seem to be in good shape thinking it is a spark issue. Going to do flow chart and try and get firing on all cylinders and if successful move on to pulling power head and heads to survey damage on starboard top cyclinder and fingers crossed only have to freshen up and not have block machined. Always open to suggestions. Thanks

What criteria did you use to decide the injectors were in good shape?
The ONLY way to tell is on a flow bench. I wish I had mine done 10 years ago.

There is another option-- Get it running, enjoy it for as long as it lasts. You will have some reduced performance.

So a weird thing happened trying to get the boat to idling with out any help and messing with idle speed. Boat was running and turned battery switch off and cleaned right up and went up 500 rpm ! Why would it do that

So WOT 4000 rpms and fuel coming out of vent lines from VSP. Great spark throttle set up idling fine. Yes I could bring to a mechanic and probably figure out but you guys have been so kind in helping figure would try again. All fuel filters are fine and inside filter is VSP is clean. Here is link to tuning the boat! Btw at least it floats lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back