Trailer spring question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiktsi

I have a double jet ski trailer that the previous owner had WELDED the leaf springs to the front mount and the rear slipper mount. The thing sat and rode like a 4x4 lol. I chopped the mounting brackets off, welded new brackets to the trailer and installed new slipper style leaf springs. The springs are rated at 750 lbs each/1500 pair. I am figuring my skis (99 GSX and 97 GSI) weigh about 1300 max (probably closer to 1200) loaded with gear and such. I don't know trailer weight, it is steel but not overly heavy above the axle- I had no problem picking it up, flipping it over, etc. while working on it without the axle in it. I went with these springs for a better ride after how it bounced around before and wasn't sure if the 1000 lb each springs (next ones up) would be too stiff.

I think they may be a bit too soft, but I wanted opinions. The trailer sits much lower (good thing compared with before!) with the tires just tucked inside the edge of the fenders. There is about 2 1/4" clearance between the top of the tire and the fender. With the skis on the trailer, if I jump up and down on either side, I can get the tire to bottom out in the fender, but it takes some effort. If I jump in the center between both skis, it is far from bottoming out both. The springs also don't have a lot of arch left with the skis loaded up. What is a "correct" spring setup for something like this and will these suffice or should I go with the 1000# each springs? Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back