Trailer set up, what you got?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Hey guys I have a two place aluminum trailer and I'm thinking of adding a box to it along with a rack to hold my vp cans. So what's your set up like? Pics?

Do it! Adding a tool box, can rack and walk boards has made all the difference in how my trailer functions.

264.jpg

My trailer has the box and gas can rack built in. The gas can rack would be easy to replicate with some angle iron and a length of metal rod that goes through the handles on the cans.

265.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a double trailer with a pair of Seadoos I bought earlier this season. It was equipped with lever action 400 lb capacity winches, which were just barely adequate. I put a pair of 1200 lb rated winches on it. I had to shorten the cranks on one side and

Eliminate the handle on the other to clear my large tool box. The gearing makes this work well despite the reduced leverage.
I put in new wheel bearings just for good measure. One of the hub's is not in too great shape due to a bearing failure with the previous owner, the inner seal won't stay put. I am considering the Ultra Pack hub's from Northern Tool. Anyone here tried them?

Got an older karavan two place. But with my big gtx the box is almost completely submerged. It tows wonderfully but I can't keep anything in the box at all.

Got the trailer out today. Reminded me of a few things so I picked up a new coupler, a license plate lamp, two fender markers and I'm hoping that will be it for awhile.

Got an older karavan two place. But with my big gtx the box is almost completely submerged. It tows wonderfully but I can't keep anything in the box at all.

Post a few pictures of your set up, maybe we can rearrange things and help with the box issue.

The box is junk. It needs to be replaced with a better one if I even replace it at all. One latch is gone as well as a hinge pin on the same side. It's bolted to the frame where it "y"s for stability. I'd rather have a platform to stand on in place of the box. I can keep anything I would put in the box in my truck or the SeaDoo itself. And the box is just always in the way.

I do need to get a new winch for my side. It needs a center board and the bunks could probably stand to be replaced at some point as well.
216.jpg
217.jpg

Got new load c 4.80-12 tires as the ones that were on it were worn and cracking. Also put a new coupler on with grade 8 bolts, shortened up the chains so they didn't have to have a knot in them and new grade 8 bolts there as well. New 1100lb crank and strap on my side and the waverunner got the good strap from my side. Also moved the license plate to the fender to prevent damage to it and added a light for it as well. This year I may end up painting it black. The box will be coming off. Not sure if it will be replaced or not. If I do replace it I will be using a sealed aluminum diamond plate locking unit

Got a little worried my shorelander wasn't gonna carry on much longer so I ordered an new one..20180406_003150.jpg20180406_003206.jpg20180329_200621 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20180406_003150.jpg
    20180406_003150.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20180406_003206.jpg
    20180406_003206.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20180329_200616 (2).jpg
    20180329_200616 (2).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Thank you... It is long.. I had the builder make a motorcycle rack so I could take my dualsports bike with me.. bit longer than I originally expected... but it trailers nice

Sold my dual Karavan that I bought used with the Polaris Virage-i's. That was a great trailer, but it was much easier to sell the pair with the trailer all as a package.
IMG_0532.JPG

After selling the Karavan with the Polaris pair, I needed a trailer for our new SeaDoos. I picked up a Shorelandr that is quite a bit shorter - not even quite long enough for the SeaDoo-GTR215's. I had to modify it a bit to scoot the SeaDoos a bit more forward to be properly balanced. Also, the tongue is super short, so when towing it around the yard with the utility tractor, the tongue jack kind of gets in the way of the tractor wheel when turning. Its also extra tricky to back down a ramp. I will probably end up extending the tongue a couple feet if I get some free time to mess with it.

Also, the strange built-in winches on my shorlandr are kind of under-sized for any serious dragging. Because the trailer is so short, its tough to get it deep enough in the water to submerge the bunks without risking the tow vehicle becoming a U-boat, so the winches do end up getting used to drag the pwc's on the bunks up out of the water.

The short length is only a good thing when storing it while not in use.

I hate pretty much everything about this trailer. I can live with it only because we only use it a couple times a year to put the SeaDoos in the water in the spring and pull them out before the water gets too hard for boating. I would not recommend it for anybody who trailers their pwc's in for each use.

fShorelander_PWC_trailer_2_place__900_Nor_5863e6be22328.jpg
(not mine, but is this same model as this photo I found on the web):

Attachments

• 170865-b9c18d0ebd0bde530ff7176ff121fb58.jpg
    170865-b9c18d0ebd0bde530ff7176ff121fb58.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 34
I have had about 5 of those shorelandr trailers over the years and never had a single complaint about them. I especially like the ones with the big carpeted board down the middle for loading and unloading.

I have had about 5 of those shorelandr trailers over the years and never had a single complaint about them. I especially like the ones with the big carpeted board down the middle for loading and unloading.

My main complaint is its just not long enough and the winches not big enough for my SeaDoos, I guess. The carpeted plank is a nice feature. Notice in the Pic of the Karavan, I had added my own plank down the center.

My main complaint is its just not long enough and the winches not big enough for my SeaDoos, I guess. The carpeted plank is a nice feature. Notice in the Pic of the Karavan, I had added my own plank down the center.

4-Strokes I assume? Remember when these trailers came out in the 90's there were no big old 4-strokes. They fit all my 2-smokes perfectly.

It's a 4×8 heavy duty utility trailer with a 8×8, 1 inch square tube, welded deck bolted to the sides of the trailer. There is a small deck on the tongue, with tie downs, that will hold two, fifteen gallon, polycubes. With the 4×4 bunks in place I can ride the DOOs onto it at all our launch areas. The bunks are set so I can drive the four wheelers on with the bunks inside the tires. I can pull the sleds on with the skis outside and the tracks tuck inside the bunks. I can unbolt the deck in two minutes, spin on the 2 inch rigid legs into the couplings welded on the bottom of the deck and turn it into a sled deck for the truck bed in about ten minutes. It's not pretty, but it's tough as nails and fully functional for all my toys. Like Han Solo said "she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts".

The 4×8 area underneath the deck works as a dry storage area for the fourwheeler and sled trips, doubles as an emergency shelter or place to escape grizzly bears.

Attachments

• 20180920_183350.jpg
    20180920_183350.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 52
  • 20180920_183410.jpg
    20180920_183410.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 53
It's a 4×8 heavy duty utility trailer with a 8×8, 1 inch square tube, welded deck bolted to the sides of the trailer. There is a small deck on the tongue, with tie downs, that will hold two, fifteen gallon, polycubes. With the 4×4 bunks in place I can ride the DOOs onto it at all our launch areas. The bunks are set so I can drive the four wheelers on with the bunks inside the tires. I can pull the sleds on with the skis outside and the tracks tuck inside the bunks. I can unbolt the deck in two minutes, spin on the 2 inch rigid legs into the couplings welded on the bottom of the deck and turn it into a sled deck for the truck bed in about ten minutes. It's not pretty, but it's tough as nails and fully functional for all my toys. Like Han Solo said "she may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts".

The 4×8 area underneath the deck works as a dry storage area for the fourwheeler and sled trips, doubles as an emergency shelter or place to escape grizzly bears.

Given that you are in Alaska and things are expensive and hard to come by we will allow you to call that a PWC trailer but in the Lower 48 it would not qualify, LOL.;)

Thanks!

I do have a single place Shorelander for my wife's gtx. Gotta make sure my Babe is styl'n.

It's now officially a 4-wheeler trailer until the snow hits. I simply don't have room in the yard to store 4 DOOs, 6 sleds, 4 4-wheelers and trailers to go with it all.

I am looking at doing an upgrade to the trailer though. It has mismatched rims so I'll be looking in to getting something that matches one of the ones that is on it. :)

BTW, there are some sweet looking setups you guys are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back