Toyota Rav4 - towing a speedster 150????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

newspeedster

Im looking to buy a seadoo speedster 150 ASAP, but dont have a vehicle that can tow it, so im looking to buy a small SUV for that purpose.

There is a 2006 Toyota RAV4 for sale locally I think may be a good fit.
Claims a 3500lb towing capacity. The trailer weight on the speedster is 2100lb.

But im confused about all this electric braking, tow prep for the car stuff.

Will a standard V6 Rav 4 be able to tow the speedster with no mods?

ORRRRR...

Do I need an electric braking upgrade on the tow rig and a tow prep option added to the Rav4????

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp - im eager to get my speedster :)
Need to know what I REALLY need to make this work. THANKS!! :hurray:

I think you would be fine with the standard Rav 4. The speedster 150 is light enough that trailer brakes arent needed. As long as the Rav 4 is rated for towing 3500 lbs and you have the hitch, go for it.

I have towed mine before with my moter in laws Ford escape rated at 3500 lbs no problem and my boat is bigger and heavier.

OK i did some quick research....Looks like with the tow prep package, you can tow 3500 lbs. Without it, 1500....Some sites say all V6's came with it.....So as long as you have the tow prep package...you are good. Just verify it is the factory installed prep package. It comes with a bigger radiator, alternator and the wiring installed for the trailer lights.

You still have to get a wiring module harness that connects to the lights and gives you the flat plug....dunno why it doesnt come with that...most manufactureres put that in the tow package.....and you still have to add the actual hitch....make sure to get the one rated for 3500 lbs.....Good Luck!!!

Search the net for Rav4 forums and there is a wealth of info.....this is just a few things i found quickly.

Thanks for the research. Ill just have to be sure to ask the dealer about the V6 being tow ready.

I maybe leaning towards the honda pilot just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back