Towing a PWC?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

a64armt

I do not currently own a PWC. I am considering a 2007 RXT. I have read online that towing a PWC is possible, but requires clamping of a cooling hose to prevent water intrusion into the exhaust system and flooding the engine.

From what I have read on the 2007 RXT is that is has a closed loop cooling system. I realize that part of the exhaust is still cooled with raw water, much like the FWC system on my boat. How much care and concern needs to be placed when towing a newer PWC? Is it possible to install a shut off valve as an alternative to "clamping" a hose?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I plan on towing the PWC behind my 27ft Express Cruiser I/O.

Thanks,
Vincent

Welcome !

Welcome to the forum Vincent.
For someone who doesn't own a PWC yet, your already somewhat informed. Your correct in your statements. You cannot tow a Rotax powered PWC or boat over 15 mph due to the possibility of flooding the cylinders.
Towing over 15 mph, will enable enough pressure in the nozzle area to push water through the cooling system. In the RXT, your open loop system supplies water to your aftercooler and then into the exhaust. There is a loop in the top of the exhaust, that is higher than the cylinders. Once the water rises to the top of that loop, it will dump over into your cylinders, flooding them with water. When the engine is running, the pressure from the exhaust is what pushes the water out.
You can either pinch the line, where it leads from the pump housing to the engine, or you can install a ball valve. Make sure, if you install a valve, that you match the inside diameter of the valve with the hose. There is an orifice restrictor inline, so flow may not matter that much, but I'd say so, just to err on the safe side.
Good luck, let us know if you need anything else.........:cheers:

:agree: Welcome to the Seadoo Forum Vincent. I would keep a close eye on any kind of valve you use to turn off the water as it might get a build up inside and reduce the water from passing through it.

Karl

Valve....

Valve type.......he's very right. The material most usable in a salt water environment, best suited to prevent the quick aluminum oxide builidup would be brass. So, I'd look to use a brass ball valve.

So...

...if I need to get towed, I need to crimp off that top tube that has the fresh-water inlet hose nipple, and that is it?

I see cruisers pulling SeaDoos all the time, the craft does not even tow well... it goes from side to side, and I always wonder if they have closed the line off or have they just been lucky???

from what i understand you dont have to clamp anything if your towing the craft forward(which makes sense) and staying under 10mph but everyone would rather go the safest route and just clamp it. thats what i remember reading correct me if i'm wrong

Correct scopper....

Yes, the top hose leading into the engine from the pump needs to be clamped. And your right insaneta, the manual says over 15 mph.......but like I say, better to err on the safe side.
My wearing ring went out last year and I was about 5 miles from home. I got a tow by a young man and his wife. it was about a 22 or 24 ft center console type boat. He tried to speed up and it kinda scared me (not me, but I had my two daughters in the boat) because of the way it jerked the boat back and forth. He did slow down.
In towing a regular outboard or inboard/outboard, you still have rudder control. On the jet boat/pwc, steering is done by re-directing thrust. There is no rudder.

thats why you hang the kids in the water or use your hand....lol yeah that would be scary. i'm always scared someone will mess my stuff up even when a lot of the time there just trying to help out

Does this apply to a 97 xp also? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have only 1 year experience under my belt with Jetskis and would like to learn as much before i upgrade to a boat.

Thanks

Yes, it applies to all seadoo watercraft from Pwc's to the JET BOATS.

qstorm, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask !...This is a friendly forum and we aim to educate and help owners on all levels of knowledge. If you have a question or problem no matter how small, ask away. We all started somewhere.

Karl

Thanks so much.

Well my ski works now but just to throw this out there. I stalled out this past weekend because of battery issues and had to be towed in.
The guy that towed me had a seadoo as well. I don't think he went over 15mph, I guess he nows about this
Yesterday I replaced the battery and I notice water in the hull front and back, could this be a result of the above mention in this thread, cause I dont remember water splashing in the hull. (No i have no leaks).

What happens is that the speed of the boat causes the water to force into the feed line in the impeller tunnel which goes to the engine to cool it while running. If you are going over 15 it will full the engine with water as it back flows into the exhaust because it doesn't have the pressure from the exhaust to keep it out of the engine, causing the engine to fill with water. The water shouldn't fill the hull with water...just the engine.

i am also a new pwc owner and did not know this about the rotaxs'. i just recently had to tow my buddy back to the marina for about 2-3 miles maybe and we were towing his 96 gti with my 96 gti. i would say for the most part i did not go over 15 but the guage is not that accurate and i do remember getting tired of it taking a long time and sped up some. he ran it the next day so is it safe to assume that is pwc is okay?

It should be fine...

Yes, it should be fine. If the engine did flood from towing, you'd now when you tried to start it. I think for the most part, they are not towed above that 15 mph limit because you'd basically be on plane. They are to unstable at high speeds......

yeah, i would say that when i looked back a couple times he was on plane and sitting on top of my wake, which def made it easier to tow cuz going slow he was causing lots of resistance. i am glad we did not do any damage though.

boats....

I think that the boats would be more the worry. And too, when someone has been towed in, they may just put it up in disgust thinking their going to take care of it later. When they come back out.......it's locked up. If you flood an engine, from what I've read in the forum, your suppose to start it as soon as possible.

The hose is the one on the top of the jet pump tunnel on the port side of the hull. It runs to the cylinder head of the engine.

have a friend who did this now his engine is screwed just get the clamp tool from seadoo and carry it with you and clamp off the main water "in" line coming from the pump area and your good to go if not then dont go over 10 mph to be safe

how about a few pics of this procedure being done, that way we that dont know how to do this, understand exactly what you have done to allow the tow to be safe for the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back