Towing a non-running Sea-Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy.262

So yesterday we were out on the lake and the GTX wouldn't start. I ended up having to tow it back to the launch with the SPX. I've heard stories of people filling their engines with water from towing, so I made sure to stay under 5mph the whole way back (that was a loooong slow ride). To add insult to injury, all that was wrong with it was that the battery terminals were corroded :rolleyes:. No water got in the engine, at least as far as I can tell.

So, was I right to be worried about filling it with water while towing? Is there a "proper" way to tow a Sea-Doo?

Should be fine...whats the difference between bombing forward at full speed and towing at slow speed? You would need to fill the hull completely with water to get water into the engine through the carbs. Not likely.....did you re-start the ski after the battery terminals were cleaned?

The proper way to tow a ski is to never have too!!!!! BUT slow and steady if you must :)

The immediate start up is important if you were to get water into the motor. That’s the only way to be sure that you’ve burnt all of the water out of the system and won’t be introducing rust to the bearing surfaces. With that said, it’s really not a concern if you’re towing at slow speeds.

Should be fine...whats the difference between bombing forward at full speed and towing at slow speed? You would need to fill the hull completely with water to get water into the engine through the carbs. Not likely.....did you re-start the ski after the battery terminals were cleaned?

The proper way to tow a ski is to never have too!!!!! BUT slow and steady if you must :)

That’s wrong information. When towing more than about 5 mph water is forced through the pump into the cooling system and exhaust. Without the engine running this water will fill the exhaust then flood the internal engine.

The safest way to tow is to disconnect or clamp closed the cooling hose from the pump. Then you can tow at any speed.

Awesome, that's good to know.

How does water get into them when towing at higher speeds? I've only heard it can happen but I can't really think of how. Through the exhaust maybe?

EDIT: mikidymac answered my question while I was typing it up

Towing without blocking the cooling inlet line will fill the exhaust and the motor, you won't get any water in the hull.

The safest way to tow is to disconnect or clamp closed the cooling hose from the pump. Then you can tow at any speed.

Would it be possible to put a shutoff valve on that hose?

If this had happened on the other side of the lake it would have taken me all day to get back at 5mph. Having a valve there would be an easy way for me to remember which hose it is and what I need to do, just in case something like this happens again.

It is possible to flood the motor with water if towing too fast. You are supposed to pinch off the hose between the pump and motor
Screenshot_20190625-100120.png

Would it be possible to put a shutoff valve on that hose?

If this had happened on the other side of the lake it would have taken me all day to get back at 5mph. Having a valve there would be an easy way for me to remember which hose it is and what I need to do, just in case something like this happens again.
I have a shutoff valve i installed on mine, but make sure its open when you need it or you engine is toast. I used a shark bite 3/4" full port valve.

I just keep a hose barb with a cap on it in my ski. If I ever need to tow I pull the hose off the head and install the capped barb on the hose and can tow as fast as I want.

I keep a harbor freight plastic hose pinching tool in both my skies works great when towing behind the house boat. I also have a long pink string attached that I leave hanging out of the seat so I never forget to remove them.

Question about the hose that needs to be pinched ? I have a 951 cc engine. Is the hose that needs to be pinched the water supply hose that attaches to the top of the engine? I plan on towing my ski behind the boat and I am going to buy a hose pinch. Can anyone post a picture of the hose on a 951?

Need to pinch it further back, before the water valve on the waterbox (Waterbox looks like a round aluminum tank). As close to the jet pump water source as you can get, should put you there. This keeps the exhaust system from filling with water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back