To much oil, fouling plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
A leak down test will indicate bad main seals, bad o-ring head seal, anywhere bolt holes go into bottom end, leaking rotary valve cover etc. If it was a carb problem and only 1 carb the plugs should look close to the same unless 1 inner main was leaking. A weak spark from high resistance connection can can cause incomplete combustion when you nail the throttle, have you trimmed the plug wire ends at the plug cap? When it's smoking does the smoke look black or have a blue or white/light gray tint? My plugs look like yours all the time on purpose but probably not for the same reason. To eliminate the oil pump plug the line and premix once to be sure. Not smokey when you remove the seat is it? And if the little plastic check valve that's screwed onto the fuel block that's under the lever leaks the carb will dribble fuel down the throat, use a mirror (so no burnt eyebrows) and look down the carb throat while it idles and see if it's dripping fuel. One that leaks will load up bad when you chop power after a full throttle to high RPM section. If the prior owner fooled around maybe he removed or altered the restriction in the return fuel line at the carb. I've seen skis run funky from the water lines incorrectly routed. Don't give up, you'll figure it out.
Oh and the coil and caps are both new as well and I plan to test them as well.

Just thought of something since you said the prior owner ......, did you empty the oil injection tank and refill with fresh 2 stoke oil? Maybe it had 10-40 in it.

It was a quarter full and added quality oil to that to make sure there was more good than bad oil. The left over oil didn't look to bad though.

Blackish blue unfortunately. I use seadoo mineral oil which is clear and way better. Might just drain and clean the oil tank while I have it home and apart. Sucks because I really wanted to get through the season but it is what it is. Hopefully something simple.

So did you ever replace the needle and seat? It simple and could be a reason your getting rich. Some times if the arm on the Popoff spring isn’t adjusted correctly it’ll keep the needle and seat open.

The blue oil is TCW-3 which is the wrong oil.
You can’t mix oils because they can gel and plug the oil system seizing your engine.

You need to change the oil filter and get all that oil out of the system and refill with the correct oil.

So did you ever replace the needle and seat? It simple and could be a reason your getting rich. Some times if the arm on the Popoff spring isn’t adjusted correctly it’ll keep the needle and seat open.
Bringing it home tomorrow to look into it. I didnt rebuild the carb someone else did. Gonna go though it when I get it home.

Ok guys I got the carb apart and yes a quality rebuild with good parts. Also inspected the accelerator pump and diaphragm was good there too. I also looked into the intake and very very clean. No oil or puddles of fuel anywhere. What's next. Spark? I have replaced the coil and caps already but doesn't mean the one I got was a good one. Here is pics of the carb. Jets correct, pop off correct, diaphragm good, seals good.

Attachments

• 20190819_162556.jpg
    20190819_162556.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190819_153159.jpg
    20190819_153159.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190819_153141.jpg
    20190819_153141.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190819_154259.jpg
    20190819_154259.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
What does the diaphragm look like?
What was the pop-off?
Did it pass leakdown before taking it apart?
The accelerator pump diaphragm looks dirty?

Pop off 37ish, accelerator pump was dirty but that would only clog it. I cleaned it up. The main diaphragm was a little warped but no tears or pin holes. Gonna do the leak down when I put the carb back on.

I have video of inside the intake as well and all looks well. Shit it wont let me upload. Looks good tho and no sign of backed up fuel or oil. Wonder if I got a bad coil.

Pop off 37ish, accelerator pump was dirty but that would only clog it. I cleaned it up. The main diaphragm was a little warped but no tears or pin holes. Gonna do the leak down when I put the carb back on.
I meant put back together

The main diaphragm was a little warped but no tears or pin holes. Gonna do the leak down when I put the carb back on.

what do you mean by warped? In the case of mine, it was as if part of the diaphragm had bulged out. Regardless this sounds like something that needs to be replaced.

All in all the carb does look clean. The needle valve should be fine. Someone may correct me here, but I was under the impression that if the black stuff on the tip was intact it is fine because that is what makes the seal.

Pop-off or not that needle is worn and should be replaced.
The visible groove on it is a sign that it is worn.

what do you mean by warped? In the case of mine, it was as if part of the diaphragm had bulged out. Regardless this sounds like something that needs to be replaced.

All in all the carb does look clean. The needle valve should be fine. Someone may correct me here, but I was under the impression that if the black stuff on the tip was intact it is fine because that is what makes the seal.
I'll take pictures.

Oh I will. Question. Would a tiny air leak in the carb gasket cause a rich condition without having a run away ski or do they always just get up and go on an air leak?

Oh I will. Question. Would a tiny air leak in the carb gasket cause a rich condition without having a run away ski or do they always just get up and go on an air leak?
Leaky base gasket will manifest as a lean condition, with potential for runaway.

Ugh I'm so fucking frustrated with this thing! It doesn't make sense! Everything checks off so far! Wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back