Throttle cable too short for newer pump asy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

Hi everyone,
Happy New Year.
I think I found the problem with the throttle/gear shifting
I was having trouble with. It looks like the throttle linkage
is about an inch too short for the newer pump assembly.
What is the best way to adjust? Is an inch adjustment
possible down at the pump linkage, or do I need to do
something else? What would you do?
Thanks,
LindaP

Linda, the cable should go directly to the throttle bracket(2 locking nuts 2 washers) and to the throttle valve assy that the cable ball end attaches to. On the control handle end is a adjustment too (2 locking nuts 2 washers)that controls the full throttle play. Your boat has the turn feature also where when you turn the steering wheel it accelerates the engine for tight full lock turning, this is adjustable too. Remove the spark arrester box assy. so you can look inside the carbs, down the throat of the carb at the throttle valve butterfly. Now in stall the cable on both ends, and the steering feature. Leave lots of play on all ends, as you will adjust each end for limited play. Adjust the cable at the carb. end first. Be sure the carbs adjust to idle position. Look in the carb to see that it returns to idle, almost closed position. Now adjust the control end so you get full throttle with the handle all the way forward. Double check that when you move control handle all the way to no throttle that the cable has very small amount of play and carbs are at idle position.(look in the carb) Tighten up both lock nuts as the original cable was,1 nut on each side of bracket, same with flat washers if on your assembly. In other words, sandwich the bracket. Now adjust the steering feature. Use the small adjustment tube and operate the steering wheel and observe the cable in near complete full lock position in either direction. This allows the carbs to slightly accelerate in this position. This will have to fine tuned when you first operate your boat in the water. Now go back and check that the cable is working smoothly without binding. You must have Idle position, and full throttle positions at the carb. Moving the control handle full forward and rear position. Keep in mind the each time you move the control handle forward to full throttle the fuel pump is squirting fuel into the carb, and could flood the engine. On the other side of carbs is the oil injector cable, I would use a mirror and check the injector pump on the mag side of the engine(toward the front) and make sure the marks line up indicating that it is in adjustment. It should move freely with the control handle too. I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions ask away.
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back