Thinking Of Buying a '00 Speedster SK

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankster

Can you guys tell me what in particular to look for when shopping for a Speedster? I'm new to SeaDoo's but can do my own maintenance if needed.
This boat has the 240 Merc and the guy has owned it since '01 as a family boat. Its been stored inside and the only issue he mentioned was the ski pole needs some kind of attention. He's out of town for a couple of weeks so I have some time to do some research before I see it. Any pointers you guys have will be greatly appreciated. He's asking $9500.

Thanks, Frank

I have a 2003 speedster and we love it. Mine has the mercury 240 efi and I spoke with a person who used to sell Seadoo boats. He said that he like the mercury 240 efi best out of all the engines, very reliable and good power. I have had only minimal issues, easy maintenance etc. I like the rotax engines, but its had to beat a murcury. Get a manual.

As for things to check, look for corroson on terminals in the engine compartment, look at the spark plug conditions (should be an ashy brown), look at the impeller underneath for marks and scrathches.

Use amsoil, this oil is synthetic and will prolong the engine wear.

Thanks Darthspeed. Can you tell me where you'd shop for parts for this boat if needed. I know for one thing it needs the ski-pole replaced. Best to go to a dealer? I'm looking forward to looking at/possibly purchasing on the 25th. He came down to $7700. Can't wait to go boating if it looks good!
Thanks again for your reply,
Frank

a little late now but there are alot of people on this forum that have had/are having some serious problems with their 240EFIs. i personally just finshed putting a new powerhead in mine about a month ago (4000 later) because it melted a piston for no reason. last season i had to pull apart the jet pump that jammed up on me (1500 later). just do a search for mercury m2 on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back