The RFI (Rotax Fuel Injection ) Spot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!!! 99 GSX RFI Fuel sending unit. I dismantled the unit to access the inner filter. When I removed the pump assembly, the two washers ( rubber and metal) at the bottom ejected. I'm not sure of the orientation. Rubber first on the bottom of unit? Or metal on the bottom of the unit first?

yes the one posted by griz will work in a gsx, i have a 99 gsx rfi too:) regulator should be fine, they are very easy to replace without pulling anything apart so i wouldn't worry about it. be sure to replace both filter screens while you're at it. just take your time while replacing the pump and really observe as i made a very stupid mistake lol! not a hard job but i wasnt paying attention and make one mistake by putting the metal tube from pump to regulator backwards causing pressure loss.

Just need to know the orientation of the two washers in the bottom of the unit. metal washer on the very bottom or the rubber washer on the very bottom? Thanks

look on post number 85, jammin777 has a pictorial ...
I did check out jammin777 number 85 post. Great pictorial but, it doesn't specify the orientation of the two bottom washers. There is a rubber one and a metal one. I don't recall which one goes on the bottom first. Help.

Just need to know the orientation of the two washers in the bottom of the unit. metal washer on the very bottom or the rubber washer on the very bottom? Thanks
i cant remember, sorry, i just paid attention when i took it apart but honestly don't remember. calling @ PGHMAN

It is normal to have an oily residue/grime inside. But there should not be any actual oil sitting in the bottom. If there is, then you have a slow leak or drip coming from somewhere.

Is oil in the bilge a common problem for you guys?
I have some oil in my bilge. As I have my fuel tank pushed forward I can see that the leak may be coming from the zip tied hoses on the fitting on the bottom of the oil tank. I am going to use new zip ties and make sure they are snug. I think that may be where its coming from. Also, check the overflow check valve at the top hose on the oil tank. Sometimes oil leaks from there from pressure.

HELP!!
1999 GSX RFI

Hi fellow forum friends. I will attempt to describe with details so you all can see if you see something that I don’t.
*Current problem is that the jetski will only go up to 4400 rpm and no more.
*The original problem was that jetski would just cut off (no motor, no electrical---as if you pulled the lanyard off). It would start right back up, run for an undetermined time and happen again. So on and so forth.
Current condition:
Plugs are NGK BR8ES gapped at .020
Idles in water @ 1090-1110 rpm
Idles on hose @ 1700-1750 rpm
Won’t go more than 4400 rpm in water
*Some things that I have serviced and or replaced:
I cleaned out the mag cover and stator and sensor of all metal shavings that were inside that compartment.
I have previously serviced the rave valves. Cleaning and replacing bellows, orings, and springs. I also recently checked to see if the valves were free and move with air through the tubes. All good.
I replaced the rectifier with an updated beefed up model after hearing of the faulty OEM rectifier. I have recently checked the voltage. 12.something idle battery. 14.3volts while engine is running on hose.
I have cleaned the fuel injectors
Compression on the Mag side is 165 psi and the PTO side is 158 psi
The starter has been replaced. OEM starter.
Start/Stop switch replaced.
Lanyard post replaced.
Water Temp Sensor replaced.
New spark plugs NGK BR8ES gapped at .020
Fuel Pump module replaced.
Two filters replaced. Inner and outer.
*Not sure if it’s an issue but I noticed that the two large oil lines that go out from the oil tank have air in the lines. The two small lines are full, no air in those lines. Advise.
What have I missed? What else can I check? I appreciate your help.

Read post 14 on this thread, seems to be the 4400 rpm failsafe issue ... something is going on i believe with the charging system on your ski ... plug in another rectifier maybe .. rfi's eat rectifiers .. there is info on rectifiers on this thread somewhere .. they make a beefed up one also that the 4 tecs use .. it's listed on this thread as well

Hi All, I am new to the RFI thread but there sure is some great info in here. I jmnust purchased a 1999 GSX RFI last month that is in great shape and only has 94 hrs on it. Found out the owner was running Amsoil in it so the 1st thing I did was drain and flush the amsoil with BRP full synthetic and replaced the oil filter. Ski is at our cottage on Lake Huron in Canada so because of rough water and time constraints could not get the jetski out for a couple of weeks. Did start it a run it a few times to circulate the new oil around around and it ran great.
So we get it down to the water a couple of days ago and all we get is click- click -click when we try to start it. Grab the battery out of my 1990 SP and boost the GSX. Notice the battery got low enough that the clock on the gauge has gone back to zero. Find out one of the bilge plugs was not tight and the GSX has 1'- 2' of water in the bilge but it doesn't look like it has bothered anything. Put the JetSki on back on the trailer and drain all the water out. Get it started and head out on the water, GSX is running great but only limited info coming up on the info gauge . Only time , rpms are working. run it for 3-5 minutes and then stop to look at something on shore. When I start to head back in the GSX starts bogging out at around 3,000 RPM. Take it in slowly but it starts running a little rougher. Kind of like the choke is on. Shut it down for 5 minutes and have a look to make sure everything from the oil change over is on tight and nothing is out of place. All looks well. Start it up and it is still runiing rough can not really get up to 1600 RPM. It is running like a full choke is on. Shut it down and take it out to charge up the battery. That is where we are at now until I can get it back out on the water tommorow. 2 Questions, Any suggestions as to what may be causing the maschine to run so rough? 2nd Question- when is the last time anyone actually bought the beefed up rectifier from OSD as they are saying they bought there supplier out and are now out of stock. Thanks

seems something is wet and/or you are not charging ... test as you read it all here on this link ..check in rear electrical box for all fuses, and connections

seems something is wet and/or you are not charging ... test as you read it all here on this link ..check in rear electrical box for all fuses, and connections
Grizz400 I just ordered the rectifier from OSD. It is currently backordered. I just have to wait. I will, in the meantime, check the rear electrical box as you suggest.
Can you shed some light as to the air in the large oil lines? Is that normal?

Hi,
I will be calling OSD to see if they can give an estimate on how long the backordered rectifier will take. In the meantime I will probably order one from the place Griz400 suggested earlier NewJetSkiParts.com. In an earlier post I noticed Jetskigoodies was inquiring to a rectifier from Components Plus he seen on ebay for $40. I just noticed Components plus also sells a $110. rectifier on e-bay for the same application that looks a little beefier.
Here are the links.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271025441537?redirect=mobile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VOLTAGE..._Watercraft_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item461dd5d829

Please let us know if anyone has had any luck with either one of these rectifiers.Thanks

the only 2 rectifiers i have used is the one from osd and the one from jestkiparts in st petersburg fl, you will have 3 fuses in the rear e/box, and fuses in the mpem , also i would invest in a tube of dielectric grease, and put some in just about every electrical connector u see ...keeps water out and connectors like new, first spray with contact cleaner, let dry, apply grease and snap together, repeat like every year ...(if i lived up north like you guys, it would be part of winterizing ski)

Update: The rear electrical box is in good shape. Dry, all connections are clean and tight. Two 20 amp fuses are good. One 1 amp fuse is good.

Okay, we just went from bad to worse. Checked all connections in rear electrical box and fuses in front and rear box. Everything dry and tight. Fully charged battery with battery maintainer. Still running rough on land. Idle is 950 RPM Put it in the water to test. Running rough but can get up to 3000RPM. After it is warm will stall if I let off completely on throttle. Let it stall, now will not restart. Pull it out of the water and let it cool . Still will not start. Thinking something with the fuel supply. Wouldn't think a plugged fuel filter would go from running rough to not running in as matter of 5-10 minutes run time. Starting to think maybe one of the sensors. From what I can tell you need a special reader to read the error codes from the ECU? The ECU is behind the MPREM?
Anyone else come across problems like this?Thanks

Okay, we just went from bad to worse. Checked all connections in rear electrical box and fuses in front and rear box. Everything dry and tight. Fully charged battery with battery maintainer. Still running rough on land. Idle is 950 RPM Put it in the water to test. Running rough but can get up to 3000RPM. After it is warm will stall if I let off completely on throttle. Let it stall, now will not restart. Pull it out of the water and let it cool . Still will not start. Thinking something with the fuel supply. Wouldn't think a plugged fuel filter would go from running rough to not running in as matter of 5-10 minutes run time. Starting to think maybe one of the sensors. From what I can tell you need a special reader to read the error codes from the ECU? The ECU is behind the MPREM?
Anyone else come across problems like this?Thanks

Raymond88 Check voltage at battery (not running) should be 12.something volts. Check the voltage at the battery engine running on hose at 3000-3500 rpm voltage should be 13.something to 14.something. 15 and over means your rectifier is bad. RFI's need proper voltage to run all systems. If voltage drops ski will go into limp mode or even shut down.

I'm fighting my ski ( 99 gsx rfi) not going over 4400 rpm. Limp mode. I just ordered a beefed up rectifier from OSD (backordered). waiting for it to come in so I can see if that was my problem. I've replaced lots of other parts on my ski and I still have the problem. So I have a lot of used good parts on hand. Let me know what you diagnose the voltage to be on your ski and maybe I can steer you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back