The RFI (Rotax Fuel Injection ) Spot

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
then when you crank engine over, the crank position sensor, sends a signal to mpem, then mpem energizes fuel pump

:agree:yep the pump runs to prime the fuel system then shuts off when the spec pressure is built up as it takes a certain amount of pressure to fire up the injectors and make it start. once the engine fires up the fuel pump continues to run again to keep the pressure up to keep it running.
with the rfi the spec is 56 to 60 psi. too low and it wont run very well or not at all. the fuel regulator keep the pressure from being too high and regulates constant fuel pressure to retain 56 to 60 psi throughout the rpm usage.

I wonder if he men't to say that it only prime's and then doesn't continue to run when the engine cranking and running... Its the only reason I can think of that would make someone want to add a switch and bypass it...

hmmm, well he said when he plugs the the dess key to post and didn't say trying to run it. maybe he will enlighten us.:confused:

hey guys for you rfi owners, i found a great source for bosch fuel pumps on eBay , bought mine for 36.00 shipped! mine came in a bosch box part#580 453 449 (made in Germany) only took 3 days from Florida to Idaho.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380706601408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
ck it out and also click on visit store, (e-herko) and in the search type seadoo and all of the rfi fuel pump options appear, one of the options is fuel pump, pressure regulator and filter screens for 120.00 and another option is complete module including fuel level sensor/float for 220.00 shipped and with warranty!
i wont be able to try mine out till late spring as it's way too cold and ski is apart for rebuild lol!

at griz request here is the Bosch part no for the tps 280 122 014 this sensor also fits 03 Hyundai accent and several saab's and nissan's to name a few

also Bosch MAP sensor part# 261 230 020

the air temp sensor is just a bombardier part no

the Bosch part# for the crank position sensor i believe is 261 210 159

RFI fuel pump instructions

here's some RFI fuel pump instructions for those that want to replace the pump and strainers only within the pump module.
enjoy;)

Attachments

• pump 1.JPG
    pump 1.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 185
  • pump 2.JPG
    pump 2.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 187
  • pump 3.JPG
    pump 3.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 171
  • pump 4.JPG
    pump 4.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 168
Here is a good, not to expensive, sorta needed maintance that should be done, possible every couple of years, is changing your fuel filters -- (2 strainers ) .... IN tank filters, just by removing your fuel pump assy, by removing your glove box compartment (4 retainers) comes right out, and there is fuel pump module, remove all retaining nuts, main fuel line, vent line, and wiring connector, then remove pump assy,View attachment 17179View attachment 17180 and take off bottom plate, then you have 2 fuel stainers (they are called) -- (advanced auto parts sells them ) 1 - part # fs242 -- approx 15.00 - 2 - part # fs220 -- approx 10.00 ---- also, if you want to change the bosch fuel pump at this point, they also have the original bosch fuel pump and part # is 20770241 -- approx price is 93.00, and then, take and remove all the fuel in tank, wipe clean with a shop towel, and re-assemble --
**** this is our fuel system repairs (along with 2 fuel injectors) , there is no problems with gray fuel lines, and carb overhauls, etc ****
and DONT put any fuel inj cleaner, etc in the fuel, (just clean 87 octane is sufficient)

Can this fuel pump be used with a 1999 GSX rfi. I noticed you have a GTX not sure if it matters? My fuel pump says Bosch # 580453431

yes the gsx and gtx are the same pumps as well as the entire fuel system

thanks for the quick reply. I noticed you posted a fuel pump as well off of ebay. Is the one posted by griz good for my 1999 seadoo gsx rfi. I would rather go to advanced auto as I am impatient lol. Are they both the same. Also since I am in there should I replace the regulator? Do they break often? I am only replacing my fuel pump for preventative reasons

yes the one posted by griz will work in a gsx, i have a 99 gsx rfi too:) regulator should be fine, they are very easy to replace without pulling anything apart so i wouldn't worry about it. be sure to replace both filter screens while you're at it. just take your time while replacing the pump and really observe as i made a very stupid mistake lol! not a hard job but i wasnt paying attention and make one mistake by putting the metal tube from pump to regulator backwards causing pressure loss.

I've owned my '99 GTX RFI for a year. I just fried my 2nd rectifier. I have another post titled "low voltage woes". In that post, someone suggested these rectifiers have a poor ground, causing them to burn up. He suggested I provide an additional ground to the rectifier. I ran a wire from my negative battery terminal and spliced it into the black wire on my replacement rectifier. It'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

fp1.jpgfp2.jpg
yes the one posted by griz will work in a gsx, i have a 99 gsx rfi too:) regulator should be fine, they are very easy to replace without pulling anything apart so i wouldn't worry about it. be sure to replace both filter screens while you're at it. just take your time while replacing the pump and really observe as i made a very stupid mistake lol! not a hard job but i wasnt paying attention and make one mistake by putting the metal tube from pump to regulator backwards causing pressure loss.

Thanks man!,

One more question and I promise I will stop being a PITA! I was only going to change the fuel pump because it is such a pain to change these filters and I do not know its age. Guessing original. It doesn't look terrible "from the outside" but the filter had some debri on it which I will change and clean everything. Whats the life cycle on these things? This machine has 140 hrs. I didn't check pressure before I dove into this but I don't recall it being a problem. Just doing preventative stuff. If the fuel pump were to fail would it kill the engine? I would hate to waste money if this is not necessary at the moment.

ask all the questions you want, that's what we're here for,
I have no idea how long they last but if it were me having it already apart, i would replace it and get it over with. one less thing to think about. in a car, pumps usually last around 100k miles but seadoos take lots of punishment.

ask all the questions you want, that's what we're here for,
I have no idea how long they last but if it were me having it already apart, i would replace it and get it over with. one less thing to think about. in a car, pumps usually last around 100k miles but seadoos take lots of punishment.

Agree. Does this need to be rewired or just plug and play?

As Jammin mentioned above, Bosch pump from eHerko for $36. Got filters from A Auto use promo code P20 for 20% off.....replaced pump and filters for under $60.

I have a 1998 gtx rfi with 351 hrs I traded for last week, had it on the water yesterday and seems to run and handle great, the previous owner had it for 3 years and says as far as he knows, nothing at all has been done to the ski. Any suggestions where to start with a Maintance aspect. I know very little about these things, can imagine plugs to start for sure. And he did say all he has ever used is the synthetic oil, and even gave me a quart. So that's a good thing right. Any help would be great. And thanks

I have a 1998 gtx rfi with 351 hrs I traded for last week, had it on the water yesterday and seems to run and handle great, the previous owner had it for 3 years and says as far as he knows, nothing at all has been done to the ski. Any suggestions where to start with a Maintance aspect. I know very little about these things, can imagine plugs to start for sure. And he did say all he has ever used is the synthetic oil, and even gave me a quart. So that's a good thing right. Any help would be great. And thanks

What brand of oil was he using...........just to be sure.

Most common problem with the rfi seems to be the rectifier, the old ones didnt last long. If it is running good, there is nothing to do there, until "12V Low" warning comes up on the dash.

Check condition of
- VTS boot
- carbon seal (does it leak more then a drip)
- motor mounts (broken or loose)
- oil injection lines (especially the small ones coming out of the pump)
- water regulator (diaphragm for cracks)

Things to do
- grease pto zerk fitting, just enough to expand the rubber boot a bit.
- change jet pump oil
- change counter balance oil with SAE 30
- clean and inspect parts of Rave Valves
- change oil filter
- if the fuel pump strainers (filters) have not been changed in the last few years, change those

Thats all I can think of.

maybe on of the Mod's should move this to your own thread, so we can keep this thread RFI specific

Question again. Don't want to do this twice. I received fuel pump today bosch part from above forum. On side it says 580-453-477 (bosch part 69223). The one I had in the ski (original) says 580-453-431 Which I THINK is bosch part 69498. The look the same size. I was able to take bottom rubberish housing off bottom and swap it on the new one with filter. I just do not want to put it all back together if it isn't to spec. Can anyone tell me if they have a 1999 gsx rfi and used this one with success. Is there a difference between them or am I overanalyzing this?

im not sure on that part number, the numbers i originally posted in this thread on post number 2 is what is in my ski ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back