The great solenoid/starter debacle, literally moving baclwards

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atown16

So I replaced a bad starter on my 587, was getting the "thud" noise when pushing the start button. I tested the starter with my new battery while out of the machine and it turned. I then connected the starter to my ignition system before I mounted the starter and it turned. I now have the starter back connected to the engine and cables all hooked up and i push the start button and now I get no thud in the solenoid but literally nothing but a click from the start button. I bridge the solenoid and the starter turns. So I replaced the solenoid and still just a click from the starter buttons and nothing else.

I bridged the new solenoid and it did turn the starter. I'm now lost. I disconnected the negative terminal and reconnected it at the starter and no change. I can't identify any blown fuses they all look normal and all the connections inside the box look good. What do you guys recommend??? I can't see anything wrong with the start switches they appear intact. Please help! Thank you.

1.) Has the battery been load tested & did it test good? Any auto parts store can load test it for free. I have my own analog (needle gauge) load tester at home which can also be used as a volt meter, if need be. If the battery tests good. Has the battery been charged on a Battery Tender on trickle charge overnight to get it a full charge?

2.) Check the Big Ground cable to the starter for corrosion or simply do a Continuity test with a meter.
3.) Pull both spark plugs out and turn the motor by hand using the PTO. This will show if the motor is hanging up internally.
4.) Check/clean all Ground connections and connectors(lightly pull on the wire to check for a bad crimp).
5.) Test the Start/Stop button/harness

My volt meter has a setting that says "load test", if I turn it to that and out the needles on it it shows 12.5ish.

I had it on the trickle charger overnight while putting the starter in.

Im not sure how to do a continuity test of the ground cable but it doesn't look corroded. Is there supposed to be more than one ground cable? I only have one going from the battery to the starter.

The impeller spins, it's not hung up.

How do I check the start buttons? I took them out of the mount holes and they seem normal and click when I press them.

There will only be one Ground cable.

To do a Continuity Test. Select the setting that looks like sound waves along with a diode symbol(see the attached picture). Put your test lead on one end and the other lead on the other end(it doesn’t matter which lead goes where as it’s not polarity sensitive) and you will hear a long continuous beep if the wire is conducting from one end to the other. You won’t hear that long beep if there is a break in the wire or heavy internal corrosion and you will see “OL” on the meter’s screen meaning high resistance.

The service manual should have the test procedure for the start/stop buttons.
28.jpg

If jumping the solenoid cranks the engine, then your battery, cables, connections and starter are good.

Check for voltage at the trigger wire on the solenoid when pressing the start. Turin and the lanyard on.

If no voltage then either the button is bad or the issue is at the MPEM assuming the wiring is good.

You do not say what year/model of ski you have.
Download the shop manual and look at the wiring diagram or just say model/yr and I can give a little more help

When you hit the start button you should get battery voltage on the yl/rd wire at the solenoid, it is thru the 8a fuse.
If batt voltage when hitting start button you could possibly ground the other low-current connection on the solenoid to test the solenoid
To go further than that you need the wiring diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back