Thanks to the forum & a compression question that's likey already been answered.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was having starting problems with my 97 Gti.
I haven't worked on 2 strokes much and was having a hard time figuring is out.
Would run good the first run but after shutting it down, would always have a hard time getting it to start again.
Would always eventually fire up and then run good but I knew something wasn't right.
Searched the forum and found the answer, worn rotary valve cover.
Replaced the RV cover and RV while I had it apart and BINGO, starts like a champ now.

Question is, the compression on both cylinders is 135.
At what point do I want to re-do the top end and would I see any performance increase after doing so?
It'll do about 45mph at around 6600 rpm as it is now.

Thanks in advance....

You are there. (assumming the gauge is right)

The rotax engines... 800 and smaller... should be right at 150 psi. (cold engine, open throttle, no extra oil in the cyl's) General rule of thumb is 135 starts to get to the point where it needs to be freshened up. THey will run OK there, but not peak. THe real problem is... once they hit the 130~135 mark... they quickly decline, to the point of a melt down.

If you do a top end now... you may get a few more years out of that engine, until the crank gives out. If you wait... you may have a melt down by the end of the season. (Depending on use)

With that said... did you check the compression with the throttle held open, and good strong battery? If you have a weak battery, and the throttle was closed... it could drop your reading as much as 10 PSI.

Yep, throttle open, cold engine, good battery, 135 both cylinders.
I was just wondering if it can wait till after summer.

Thanks

Yep, throttle open, cold engine, good battery, 135 both cylinders.
I was just wondering if it can wait till after summer.

Thanks

Probably. As long as you aren't abusing it, or holding it wide open for long periods of time... I would think it could make it to the end of an Ohio riding season. Oh... and that's also assuming you are feeding it good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back