Thanks Guys

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My ski was bogging down at 5500 rpms. They told me it was a fuel related issue. So I cleaned the carbs, replaced the gray fuel lines, cleaned raves, checked compression (which was good). I also cleaned the fuel selector switch and tested the voltage for 13.5-14 (also good). Took it to the river and had the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I placed a $3 in-line filter from AutoZone and took it out for a test run. To my excitement I hit over 7k and 60 mph!!! HOORAAH.

Needless to say I ordered a new selector valve and fuel filter assembly. Thanks again guys for your help. I took it to Lake Cumberland for four days without any problems.

Robert

Thanks Macedog. How do I by-pass the fuel selector and the OEM fuel filter in my 98' gtx limited? I assume that huge exhaust has to come out? I have not done much work on seadoos but have done a lot of wrenching on my other toys.
Any help would be awesome!
One other question, if it were you, would you just get rid of this thing? Semms like lots of issues with this model?

You can gain access to the fuel filter and Selector by removing the storage bin under the front hood. No need to remove exhaust.

You can gain access to the fuel filter and Selector by removing the storage bin under the front hood. No need to remove exhaust.

What does the selector look like? I assume the fuel filter is the white canister that screws on to the top side of the hull? I am not sure of the selector though. The filter looked decent. A little dirty with some black sludge but not enough to mess up the seadoo's performance I thought. Would the selector be clogged? Again, not sure what it looks like or where it is located.

Totally makes sense. I'll take a look. I doubt it is that only because this started happening on the lake after riding for a few hours. Throttle was full and all of a sudden started to hisitate, and progressively got worse as I limped it back to the baost launch. I replaced the plugs and took it back on the lake the next day with the same problem. It is worse after it is running for a few minutes, performs best in the beginning.

Still sounds like a fuel issue to me, too. I had to completely clean my carbs, paying special attention to the filters in each carb ('98 GTX LTD). My guess is that they are getting gummed up with use and possibly having the silt settle at rest, then lodge itself when you use it.

You might be able to get by running some SeaFoam or some other fuel system cleaner, but I've only had marginal luck with that. If you have marginal mechanical ability, putting new kits in the carbs is feasible. You can order them on-line from a number of sources for around $100. Get yourself a good set of metric hex head sockets to start. Remove the bracket under the seat and then remove the flame arrestor/air log. There is one bolt on the side and then two per carb, which are accessible from the "front" of the carbs. Once those are free and the choke is removed, it takes some twisting and cussing to get the throttle, oil pump and fuel lines free. From there, disassemble, clean thoroughly and reassemble in the same order as it came apart, following the diagram provided with the kit.

I just had to do this, it will take you the better part of a day for your first time, but it is doable. Good luck!:cheers:

I would start with the cheapest things first.. At first when I removed my selector valve I could only blow air through the reserve side. So I cleaned it and had air flowing through both side, res and on. But it seems it has a rubber gromet that can get loaded up when the fuel is turned on. Also if you have the Gray (TEMPO) fuel lines they should be replaced. (one at a time so you dont get them confused). I would at least pull the carbs and clean the filters in those as well.

I would start with the cheapest things first.. At first when I removed my selector valve I could only blow air through the reserve side. So I cleaned it and had air flowing through both side, res and on. But it seems it has a rubber gromet that can get loaded up when the fuel is turned on. Also if you have the Gray (TEMPO) fuel lines they should be replaced. (one at a time so you dont get them confused). I would at least pull the carbs and clean the filters in those as well.

Thanks guy's. It kills me to pour money into this thing. I love riding it so much I feel like I am making a bad decision economically based on enjoyment. I guess I can't take the cash with me when I go hey? lol
The sales rep at the Bombardier dealer in town tells me to get rid of it. Says the engine in these models goes way too often. Anyone else agree with this statement?
If I were to pay someone to clean carbs/fuel lines etc. how many hours typically would it be to do this? This RAVE adjustment, anyone have anything further to add relating to this? Could this possibly be a part of the problem?

Dealerships...?

Thanks guy's. It kills me to pour money into this thing. I love riding it so much I feel like I am making a bad decision economically based on enjoyment. I guess I can't take the cash with me when I go hey? lol
The sales rep at the Bombardier dealer in town tells me to get rid of it. Says the engine in these models goes way too often. Anyone else agree with this statement?
If I were to pay someone to clean carbs/fuel lines etc. how many hours typically would it be to do this? This RAVE adjustment, anyone have anything further to add relating to this? Could this possibly be a part of the problem?

Why do you think the Bombardier dealer is saying to dump it? Simple, he wants to convince you it's a piece of junk and that you need to begin to look at a new one he has on his show room floor. I have a problem with these greedy ............. I can't use foul language, I can't lower my standards, but many choice words come to light.

The 2 stroke enignes are very reliable, dependable and really easy to fix when you have a problem. The only sensor on them is the temp. Unlike the 4-TEC, all the sensors (better than 14) send info to the ECU and MPEM and they decide what changes need to be made. Let one sensor go out and your faced with a ski that won't run well and will cost you an arm and a couple fingers to get these guys to fix it.

The 2 Strokes may last as long as 20 years. Don't get rid of yours, find someone like one of those excellent mechanics you've listed and solicit their support. Determination is what will fix this ski. Get your hands dirty!.

I have a 1997 model 787cc in my boat and guess what, it's the original engine. Just good maintenance is what has kept it running so well.

Don't listen to the greed of a dealer..........tell him to bite it!....You can also tell him I said so!:cheers:

Why do you think the Bombardier dealer is saying to dump it? Simple, he wants to convince you it's a piece of junk and that you need to begin to look at a new one he has on his show room floor. I have a problem with these greedy ............. I can't use foul language, I can't lower my standards, but many choice words come to light.

The 2 stroke enignes are very reliable, dependable and really easy to fix when you have a problem. The only sensor on them is the temp. Unlike the 4-TEC, all the sensors (better than 14) send info to the ECU and MPEM and they decide what changes need to be made. Let one sensor go out and your faced with a ski that won't run well and will cost you an arm and a couple fingers to get these guys to fix it.

The 2 Strokes may last as long as 20 years. Don't get rid of yours, find someone like one of those excellent mechanics you've listed and solicit their support. Determination is what will fix this ski. Get your hands dirty!.

I have a 1997 model 787cc in my boat and guess what, it's the original engine. Just good maintenance is what has kept it running so well.

Don't listen to the greed of a dealer..........tell him to bite it!....You can also tell him I said so!:cheers:

Thanks Snipe. I too have a 787 and it runs like a top. It is the 951 that is giving me trouble. To get at the carbs I have to take out the exhaust I assume. I will try the selector, and fuel filter first, then maybe some carbmedic or something. If none of that works, I guess I will dive right in. I like the 787, but the 951 has the load bar on back to get back on the doo when water skiing etc. I will use the 787 until I remedy the 951.

Hi guy's,

So this problem is getting more interesting and even more interesting. I think my problem is a far cry more serious that a fuel filter and selector. I noticed when I got the unit to the boat launch that there was more water than usual in the hull/belly of the seadoo. So I hooked up the garden hose and noticed water pouring out of the gasket of what looks to be a huge black exhaust. Water was pouring directly into what looks to be the air intake that feeds the carbs.
I had this unit in the shop a week ago for a starter replacement where the dealer needed to remove this exhaust to access the starter. I took the spark plugs out and fired it and water came out. No where on the bill was I charged for a replacement gasket when the starter was replaced.
Is this unit pooched in your opinion? Can it be saved do you think? Do you think the dealer will accept responsibility for the water pouring into the air intake?

I don't think it's pooched, I bought mine specifically for the 951 Rotax, which I believe to be a strong motor.

If it were me, I would take it back and see if the garage will at least take a look. If they are anything of a reputable shop, they will make it right. You might have to pay for a new gasket, but the labor should be deducted from the bill. Hope that solves your issue, the 951 is a fun and strong runner.

Thanks Daverade, Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem.. I bought two at the same time. A 96 GTX and a 97 GTI on a double shorelander trailer for $1300. Both in excellent shape other than the bogging down with the GTX. $80 in parts and now they both run great. HEHEHE

Regarding the 951 with water, it could be just a vibration that loosened any of the connectors, this is why your toolbox will have a small tube of blue loctite - look for 242 in the part number as many auto stores carry this stuff, mark your oil tank to be sure it is drinking and not trying to sieze the piston/s, the 951 motor can be real good or real bad as it has many complex electronics to get only 15 more advertised HP than the 787 - I agree the 2strokes are light and agile but require some care like all of our machines. I ride my 95 3 seater over to Canada often while working on the boat with seats and lights, it will be nice to stay after church longer and arrive after dark legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back