Switching to Stainless Wear Ring: One Piece or Lined?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

After replacing my wear ring with an OEM, I'm experiencing bad cavitation again, after less than a season. The boat was a rocket ship when the ring was new, but now it's back to burn-out city. I'm done with plastic wear rings and am going Stainless Steel. My rationale is if I suck up something large enough to take out the wear ring, the prop likely needs to be refinished anyway. Having to replace the wear ring only doubles the maintenance costs. I don't beach my boat often, so mostly, I just have to worry about seaweed and palm debris.

Looking at the available options, I see there are solid one piece rings, and plastic rings with a stainless liner. I'm not sure which is better. While the one-piece is probably stronger, I wonder if there will be any corrosion at the aluminum/steel boundary.
I think the Lined will be weaker, but also easier to replace if I ever have to change it.

Also, can anyone comment on brands? So far, I see SOLAS and WSM as the most available brands. How are the tolerances on them? Are they uniform? (not egged?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back