Supercharged Sea-Doo idle vibration problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

seadoo_idle

I own a Sea-Doo GTR230 that I have had back for service for a bad idle vibration on a number of occasions. BRP sent one of their technicians out and I was told he worked on it for 2 days with no resolution. I have contacted a number of Sea-Doo dealers in Australia who have advised that the supercharged models have this vibration problem that can’t be fixed. The only way to get rid of the vibration is to accelerate to 30 mph. I had the vibration start in a 4-knot speed zone and the only way to get rid of the vibration was to accelerate to 30 mph (26 knots or 48 kph) in a 4-knot zone. I contacted BRP who refuse to contact me directly, and they emailed “After investigating the dealer's case, they have suggested that the vibration will decrease with a bit of acceleration.” So BRP are advising a person to speed in a 4-knot zone to get rid of a problem that BRP refuses to fix.

In Australia consumers are protected by the Australian Consumer Law (ACL). Under the ACL a retailer cannot make false or misleading statements about a product they are selling. However, silence can also be misleading if a business fails to disclose relevant facts to a customer. BRP are fully aware that the supercharged models can develop the idle vibrations but their dealers do not provide important details about the idle vibration when a consumer purchases their new supercharged Sea-Doo. As in my case, if the consumer wants to have the problem fixed, BRP turn their back on you and tell you to deal with their dealers, who tell you they cannot fix the problem and contact BRP.

The reason for this post is to find out how many people have taken their supercharged Sea-Doo’s back to the dealer to have the vibration fixed and are told it’s a common fault and there is no fix. If we can get enough numbers then the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission may take action against BRP and force them to fix the problem they caused in the first place.

Attachments

• Vibration Full Test SeaDoo GTR230.jpg
    Vibration Full Test SeaDoo GTR230.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 11
IDK if this helps, but a nugget of info here.
Located in Orlando, FL. Have 2 GTR 230’s since early August. Both behave like this. After normal driving, slow to idle and within 2-3 minutes idling the rough begins and won’t clear until you blast it off with a good 30seconds of gunning it.
I think this may be condensate from the intercooler coating up the flame arrestor mesh, causing the cylinders getting very uneven air charge. Just a guess, but viable afaik.
Haven’t pushed the dealer on this yet but certainly will at the 50 hour service.

Cheers!
Grimur

Good luck with the servicing. My dealer denied the ski had any problems until I glued my mobile phone to the Glove Box Cover and recorded the vibrations with the Track Addict app. They then tried a number of fixes, none of which worked. They then got a technician from BRP to spend two days trying to fix it and his attempts have only made it worse.

What is annoying is BRP know of the problem, seems as though it's a feature of a 3 cylinder engine balance issue, but they just keep selling the skis without advising purchasers of the product that the problem exists. Once you have purchased it, the dealer tells you to contact BRP and BRP say you have to contact the dealer.

They offered me to swap to a 170, however, when I put my dog cage on the back and load up with my wife and luggage, I need the supercharger to get out of the water. I have had a look at Yamaha's, but they don't have a good back deck to fit the dog cage, so I just have to put up with a bad idle thanks to BRP.

Cheers
Seadoo idle.

Attachments

• Kensi_on_Seadoo.jpg
    Kensi_on_Seadoo.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 7
Back