Sucked up the Rope

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZRX Guy

Yup, in a flash, the son thought the rope was stored and a chunk was hanging out. Only at idle, but got several feet and engine locked up. Got almost all of it cut out and thought maybe I could try to tap the engine to see if it'd free it up. Well the issue I have is, when I hit the start button, nothing happens, not even a click. Is there something I need to look for short of a loan? Haha!! I'm going to take the jet pump off and see if the shaft will relax and drop a little to get the rest of it off. I can't get the fwd grate bolt out and I guess the nut is under the engine?? Is there a way to get a wrench on it?

One more thing. I noticed being under the boat after it's been out of the water, it drips right at the front of the grate. 2 small nicks on either side of the grate on the hull. I'm wondering, it is leaking from water getting between the hull fiberglass layers, or ya think it's leaking into the boat? I'm sure that's a hard one to answer unless I can give you more details.

Got the rope out. Removed the jet pump and when the shaft dropped, it all came out. Problem I had with the starting is it was still in FWD and it locked out the starter. The 2 nicks I have, I just put some RTV on them and I'll see how it goes.

Nice work. & thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure it will be of help to others along the way.
Any damage to the impeller or wear ring?

Rope just wrapped around the shaft. Everything else looks pretty good. I can see the potential for allot of damage if someone was going half to full throttle. Dodged a bullet on this one.

Just to add to that reminder, unlike a normal outboard for I/O boat, jet's dont have a true "reverse". Reverse is done by the reverse buckets. The engine and impeller itself are always spinning one direction, forward. I've heard of people sucking up ropes and putting the boat in reverse to help loosen it, not realizing they're actually tightening the rope more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back