Storing a boat outside in the NE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LMychajluk

Hi everyone! I'm kinda new to this, so bear with me...

I've been thinking about buying either a Speedster 200 or maybe an Islandia. I think I have most of the logistics around it worked out, except for winter storage. I live in a condo in N. NJ, but my family has property in the Catskills (NY) that I can use to keep the boat. I may be able to use a garage on the property, but I definitely would have a parking spot for the trailer. The spot would be right next to the gargage, with trees/forest on 2 of the 3 remaining sides, so it's somewhat sheltered from the wind, etc.... I may also keep it at a rented spot near me year-round, since I'll have to rent that spot for the boating season anyway...

My questions are basically around securing and winterizing the boat. In the off season, I'd probably have the boat covered and wrapped, put the trailer up on blocks, and chain it to something. I'm actually less concerned with theft than I am with things like snow, and how the cold & exposure may affect the hull, engine, upholstery, and other parts. Any comments on what you guys in the northern areas do for the winter would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Lee

I have owned boats my whole live in NY and always keep them outside all year round. If you can, I would definitely have the boat shrink wrapped. Before shrink wrapping, just build a quick wooden arch or support for under the shrink wrapping that will keep the water and snow from puddling up and rippnig the cover.

Water shouldn't be a problem but make sure you brush the snow off the cover after it snows. The hull and everything else should be fine cmoe summer. May need a good waxing.

Critters

Are critters getting into the boat a potential issue? Family of mice, etc. Do people cover the jet "nozzle"?

Back