Stick in the impeller

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

bluewatersailor

I have a 2008 Wake 155. Picked up a stick the size of a finger on the intake side. I can see it when hanging from my strap boat lift. What's the best way to access it and pull it out? On some forums it's not recommended to take the 4 stainless bolts off the grate. Thank you.

I strongly advise against dropping the grate..pull the pump…on some models,,,the thru bolt(s) are secured by a nut on the opposite side…and can be extremely hard to get at.

Thanks, the service manual says you can drop the grate but there are lots of comments about not dropping the grate. So I jacked up my jetski in my boat slip, I have a strap lift, then got in the water under the jetski and used a long crowbar and was able to remove the stick. Could not believe how small a stick could cause such a problem. I found a Youtube article on making a 26 inch piece of rebar with specific instructions on making two bends, then grinding a small hook into the end of the 1/4 in rebar and using it to reach into the grate and pull out obstructions. Going to make that tool for next time.

I'm not sure what You Tube video you are referring to, but having sucked a plastic bottle into my impeller I wanted to know more about this tool. I found this video - maybe it's the same one?

How To Make an Impeller Jam Removal Tool for Your Personal Watercraft Jet Ski​

If it happens again, pulling the pump is not that difficult and it gives you access to everything. You will likely have to do it at some point to change the wear ring, rebuild the pump bearing, or just change an impeller boot. I would do it on a trailer though as dropping a 10mm nut into the water would be ultra frustrating.

Back