Starting issue.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTDavies

So I bought a 1999 seadoo challenger with a single 787 engine. I pulled the plugs and top cover. Everything moves smoothly and is clean. I put the cover on and kept the plugs out, then tried turning it over and it went no problem.

When I put the plugs in it wont turn over with the starter motor. I can hear it trying but it won't crank over. My compression is 170 in both cylinders. Is this an issue? This is my first jetboat and not sure what could be causing this. Any advice?

170 is high for a stock engine, but the starter should have no problem turning it over. It could be a weak starter or the battery could be bad. You should have the battery load tested. If it does indeed torn out to be the states and if yours if the original starter I would rebuild that. The aftermarket starters have proven to be, well, junk.

170 is high for a stock engine, but the starter should have no problem turning it over. It could be a weak starter or the battery could be bad. You should have the battery load tested. If it does indeed torn out to be the states and if yours if the original starter I would rebuild that. The aftermarket starters have proven to be, well, junk.
Thank you I have tried 2 different batteries. One of which was new so I'm certain it isnt a battery issue. I will try rebuilding the starter. Thank you.

Yes, hopefully it's an original starter, not aftermarket. Much better off rebuilding/buying an original starter b/c many aftermarket starters are weak and the shaft is too soft.

oil in the cylinders maybe or the gauge calibration can affect compression reading.

The original battery cables might be corroded internally under the insulation, usually in case of saltwater.

Try jumping the start solenoid using pliers.

Before replacing solenoid you can give direct 12v to starter. (Bridge the solenoid). Don't swap the solenoid if it's not the issue.

Just wondering what happened with this issue and how it was resolved. My ski is doing he same exact thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back