Starter relay symptoms...but its not the starter relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfry

I have a 2007 rxp. Put it in the water this week and have been having starting problems. Its got all the classic symptoms of a bad starter relay (clicking when Press the start button, cranks right up when I jump the poles with a screw driver). The problem is I have replaced the starter relay 3 times this week and it still won’t crank with the start button. When I replaced it the first time and it didn't fix it I took the relay back to where I bought it from thinking they sold me a bad relay. I was so convinced it was the starter relay causing the problem that when the second one didn't fix it I started to think maybe this store just had a bad batch of relays so I actually went to a different store across town and bought another one. Well jokes on me...it’s clearly not the starter relay because the third one didn't fix the problem either. I’ve checked the volts on the battery, the volts on the cables running to the starter relay. I even unplugged the cable running from the start button to the starter relay and checked the volts on it when i press the start button. All had 12+ volts coming off of them. Bottom line is I'm stumped and don't know which direction to to go in next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's a simple system, just check voltage in and out. If you are getting 12v to the starter and it's not cranking, you need a new starter.

It's a simple system, just check voltage in and out. If you are getting 12v to the starter and it's not cranking, you need a new starter.
It’s not the starter. It cranks up just fine when I jump the poles with a screw driver

Check and clean your grounds. If you're getting a good 12v pos and ground signal to the solenoid, you will hear it click if it's good. It's very possible you have a bad connection somewhere that's causing intermittent signal to the solenoid.

When you check the signal to the solenoid when you press the start button, it should then add the ground signal. The 12v positive is there whenever the key is put on.

Download the wiring diagram. That may help you understand how the system works.

Last edited:
Check and clean your grounds. If you're getting a good 12v pos and ground signal to the solenoid, you will hear it click if it's good. It's very possible you have a bad connection somewhere that's causing intermittent signal to the solenoid.

When you check the signal to the solenoid when you press the start button, it should then add the ground signal. The 12v positive is there whenever the key is put on.

Download the wiring diagram. That may help you understand how the system works.
Thanks. Yeah it definitely clicks every time I hit the start button. It clicks so hard you can feel it when touching the solenoid. I’ll take a look at the grounds and see if they need cleaning. Is there a trick to getting back to where the ground connects to the engine (starter I assume). I tried following it back to where it was connected and it went back underneath the motor to a tight spot I couldn’t fit my hand to very easily. I’ll definitely try to take a look at the wiring diagram to see if that helps me understand what’s going on. Thanks for the advice!

Are you checking voltage or continuity on the starter side when the solenoid clicks? This will tell you if your solenoid is truly good.

Ground wires are at the front of the motor and just around the side under the exhaust manifold but easy to reach.

Are you checking voltage or continuity on the starter side when the solenoid clicks? This will tell you if your solenoid is truly good.

Ground wires are at the front of the motor and just around the side under the exhaust manifold but easy to reach.
Voltage. And like I said in the original post...the solenoid is definitely good because I replaced it 3 times in one day with a brand new oem solenoid and all three had the same result. The problem is definitely elsewhere. I’m gonna try to get the ground wire off tomorrow and clean it to see if that does the trick. Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back