starter problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedsterj

A big thank you to everyone who posts on here,you never know who you're going to help.
I have a 1998 speedster twin 110 two strokes and my port side starter is spinning the engine with the spark plugs out with no problem. Once the plugs are in the starter makes a "whinning noise " sounds like it's spinning but not engaging the flywheel,it then spools down ,then it slowly cranks the engine .Brand new battery,and the other engine starts with ease.
I was going to replace the starter with one of those "Ebay starters" thank God I read some of the posts here.DON'T DO IT!
My question is. Is it a big job replacing the starter? Any good tips out there?
Thanks
J

Not a big deal just unbolt it and out it comes. You might want to check for corrosion on the Bendix end of the starter as it sounds like it's just corroded and dirty, causing it not to engage.

Karl

Let me guess?

The engine that cranks well is the one closest to the battery. Right? The one that spins slowly, is the furthest away, right?...

On the twin engine models, both positive cables run to each starter. But, the ground system runs first from the battery to the closest motor, then there is a bridge from the closest motor to the one on the opposite side.

Check that ground strap between the two motors. If you want, measure that distance and buy another ground wire with lugs on each side and attach it somewhere between the two motors. It doesn't really matter where you put them as long as it's metal to metal at the motors..........:cheers:

Ground wire.

Good starting point thanks a lot for the tip.
Looks like I won't be able to tackle it until the weekend.

I hope it's that simple.The boat had been sitting for awhile before I bought it.
I'll post my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back