Sportster 1 long beep and limited speed/rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

despower

My Sportster is emitting 1 long beep which the manual indicates is a lanyard/DESS problem. However, coupled with the problem is the fact that the throttle seems to only work up to 1/3 way (so I can only get up to 10MPH) at 5000 rpm. I don't know if the beep and limited speed/rpm are related but they did indeed occur at the same time.

The long beep happens continuously (every few minutes) and starts when I first start the motor (i.e. the motor is just warming up) So I don't believe it is an overheating problem as some of the other forum posts have suggested.

The throttle problem is odd because the engine starts up fine and runs fine. I just can't get any more speed past 1/3 throttle. It seems like the fuel feed to the engine just maxes out at 1/3 the way. RPMs never go past 5000 and it doesn't sound like the jet is cavitating.

I took the Sporter out for about an hour today (when I first noticed the beeping and throttle problem). So, I didn't notice any other problems. Had no problem getting to where I was going... it was just slow getting there.

Des

The troubleshooting manual does indicate that the long beep is an overheating problem... perhaps a blocked water intake. So maybe the engine is overheating, but what would I see if the engine was overheating? Engine sounds fine... just limited rpms.

I checked the water intake. Flows well. No problems. Gave it a good flushing today, but beeps still persist and no go past 5000 rpm. Any bright ideas would be welcome before I bring it into the shop.

I finally figured out that my limited rpms means that the Seadoo is in Limp Home mode until my fault condition is fixed. I referred to the shop manual and voila, there it was in the diagnostics code section... (yes, I am very new to this business... my first Seadoo).

Looks like my fault code (according to the manual) is #5... this is a 2 second beep every 58 seconds. That means either a water temperature sensor (WTS), an exhaust gas temp sensor (EGTS) or a throttle position sensor (TPS). The manual also posts instructions on how to figure out which of these sensors is malfunctioning.

So, I might have saved a trip to the shop. So premium memobership to access shop manuals is probably very worthwhile!

Des

So Des. How do you figure out which sensor it is.
I have the exact same problem as you! It was running fine last year and after the winterization it is doing this
Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back