Speedsters: The Old and The New

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejay

My 1995 Speedster was probably the most fun toy I ever had, it ran 15 years with little problems and just a few annoyances (like the dual battery).

So I recently bought a 2009 Speedster 150, 255HP. It is 150 pounds heavier and 18 inches longer.

The old boats were simpler, and although a little slower to accelerate, still had a real snap typical 2 stroke. The 2009 is faster but way more complicated.

A serious drawback is the one engine. I limped back to port on the second engine at least 10 times due to impeller jams, and now that is not possible, although you can limp along on the 4TEC since its closed cooling, if the exhaust water isnt blocked.

Also the grate on the 2009 is not removable, BAD IDEA. I will leave it off.

Both boats are equal fun. The 2009 has much more storage and nicer seating, but the 1995 was lighter and more nimble. Both boats are awful in chop and wakes.

Build quality has not improved, far behind Yamaha.

The 95 was about $12K out the door in 1995, the 2009 was about $19K so the price has stayed about the same (I got a deal on the 2009)

Fuel burn is about the same, despite 100 more horsepower.. a 4 stroke thing. And less pollution.

nice comparison. I love my 98 and no payment, but I hope to upgrade to a new 20 ft next year.

did you happen to GPS either boat? is the 09 a whole lot faster than the 95?
I would guess the top speed is around 10mph higher?

I am debating putting two SBT engines in my 97, or selling it and picking up a 255 speedster 150. I would be disappointed if the 09 wasnt very noticably faster than the old one..

From what i can tell from reading another forum, the 255 should hit 60mph stock.

I like how you can mod the 215-255 speedsters, although I'm sure my wife wouldnt feel the same:reddevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back