Speedster Windshield repair tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phildoo

If you have a Speedster, then you have probably had issues with the windshield cracking at the supports.I tried to be gentle and even super glueing the cracks but no luck, so as I was getting a frosty one out of the cooler, low and behold it snapped off right there on the water.Better than going down the road anyway. This is a bulletproof fix to that problem.
069.jpg
Pic of cracked area
067.jpg
Parts include black 5200, spacers 1", rubber washers,black hinged screw covers and new small stainless bolts
068.jpg
Remove hinge from hull, DISCARD factory bolts.Replace them with new low profile head allen bolts.
072.jpg071.jpg
Grind off two top rivets, dont waste your time drilling, clean area underneath hinge with alcohol to insure good bond with the 5200.
Place hinge back into original position and drill thru windshield at 90 degrees.

Repair cont.

073.jpg
Place spacer over drilled hole and mark your angle. Grind spacer to match
075.JPG076.jpg
Place rubber washers on bottom and top of spacers.
078.jpg
Because your trying to mate two surfaces that are not perpendicular you will need to slightly bend the head of the new bolt.Dont forget to add a rubber washer and screw cover.
084.jpg

Repair cont.

Assemble and test fit your work.
079.jpg
Tighten your bolts, dont over tighten!, fill void with the 5200 until level.Cover open holes with tape so it doesnt ooze out.I clamped mine for extra support.
080.jpg082.jpg
Hang vertical until dry, A WEEK minimum!!!!! Completely bulletproof now, The new bolts look factory and the 5200 acts as a shock absorber and adhesive.If you still have the flip up visors, I pinned mine down because they liked to flip up at the wrong time.
Hope this helps anyone.
087.jpg085.jpg

Repair cont.

The end result.
086.jpg
Sorry for the multiple posts, it seems that there is an upload limit on here.
Admins feel free to move this into the How-To section, seems I cant post in there.

Strong work. That is almost identical to the way mine is fixed except I dont have the little rubber bolt head covers. I just used black rounded head allen metric bolts. I think the covers would look even better. Where did you find them?

Awesome tutorial!!! I'm in the process of repairing mine right now and will post pics and the finished product. I'm also having to repair the mounting points for the latch bracket on both. I'm using the same process on them minus the adhesive. Thanks for posting this tutorial!

Awesome tutorial!!! I'm in the process of repairing mine right now and will post pics and the finished product. I'm also having to repair the mounting points for the latch bracket on both. I'm using the same process on them minus the adhesive. Thanks for posting this tutorial!

I had to repair a latch also. I basically did it the same way. If you drill through the plastic you can use a metric screw that goes into the factory mounting hardware. Its very easy and looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back